Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Shrewsbury 1-2 Wycombe

Jacobson and Tafazolli goals make the difference.

28 September 2021

Second-half goals from Joe Jacobson and Ryan Tafazolli set Wanderers on their way to a 2-1 win at Shrewsbury Town on Tuesday night.

After an uneventful first 45 minutes, the game burst to life when Jacobson smashed home brilliantly from 20 yards, and Tafazolli capped his 30th birthday with a close-range header from Sullay Kaikai's free-kick.

Shrewsbury pulled one back through Matt Pennington but Wycombe held on for their second league win in three games.

Gareth Ainsworth freshened up the side that lost 1-0 at Milton Keynes Dons on Saturday, calling Jason McCarthy, Sullay Kaikai and Brandon Hanlan into the starting line-up, while Anthony Stewart was available to continue in defence after winning the appeal against his red card at the weekend.

After an uneventful start, Wanderers were gifted the first chance of the game when Elliott Bennett's attempt to keep the ball in play in his own area resulted in him squandering possession to Jason McCarthy, whose cross was nicked off the head of Sam Vokes and Anthony Stewart blasted wide from Jack Grimmer's lay-off.

Former Shrewsbury man Grimmer was involved in another attack moments later, nodding into the grateful arms of the keeper from a cross from the left, before Kaikai was booked for a tug on Daniel Udoh as the hosts looked to break away.

Their first effort of the game came on 17 minutes when Shaun Whalley let fly with a snapshot from 20 yards which was comfortably held by David Stockdale, and then at the other end, Vokes was denied with a hooked effort from Hanlan's knock-down, with keeper Marko Marosi saving down to his right.

Whalley saw yellow for a foul on Joe Jacobson and Udoh headed into the arms of Stockdale from a looping cross from the left, while McCarthy bent a free-kick harmlessly over the bar from 25 yards after a foul on Vokes.

Former Blue Aaron Pierre lashed wide and Kaikai saw a low shot blocked as both sides upped the tempo in four minutes of first-half stoppage time but the 0-0 scoreline at the break was a fair reflection of the game so far.

It was going to need a moment of quality to break the deadlock, and it arrived seven minutes into the second period, from the trusted left boot of Joe Jacobson. But rather than displaying his usual set-piece prowess, he found himself in the right place to collect a headed clearance just outside the box and take a touch before rifling home superbly through a crowd of players.

Shrewsbury probed for an immediate reply, going close through Whalley's 20-yard drive before Udoh lashed wastefully wide from inside the box.

Chances kept coming, with Matt Pennington scuffing a chance from close-range and then Stockdale being called upon to parry away Luke Leahy's long-range rocket.

Jack Grimmer attempted to provide respite with a burst forward which ended with a powerful effort over the top, and Kaikai also went close with a low shot moments later.

And then came the second goal, with Shrewsbury likely to be sick of the sight of their former employees. Kaikai, twice a Shrews loanee, curled in a sumptuous free-kick that was nodded home from close range on his birthday by Ryan Tafazolli, doubling the lead on 66 minutes.

Kaikai was withdrawn on 70 minutes with David Wheeler taking his place, and Shrewsbury pressed forward in search of a way back into the game, going close through Ryan Bowman's header which flew wide.

The deficit was halved on 79 minutes when Matt Pennington glanced home Elliott Bennett's corner at the near post, setting up a grandstand finale.

Wycombe introduced Garath McCleary for Brandon Hanlan with eight minutes remaining, and Adebayo Akinfenwa followed soon after, replacing Vokes up top.

Aaron Pierre burst through the Wanderers defence and stung the palms of Stockdale with a low shot on 87 minutes, and then the same player planted a free header wide from Leahy's corner a minute later.

Five minutes of stoppage time ensured there'd be some late nerves for the 180 travelling fans but the Blues held on to end the month on a high, recording their second away win of the campaign as they return to Adams Park on Saturday with their 100% home record intact.

Advertisement block