Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: MK Dons 1-0 Wycombe

First-half penalty settles the game at Stadium:MK.

25 September 2021

One moment of first-half controversy made the difference as Troy Parrott's penalty sent MK Dons to a 1-0 victory over the Blues, with Anthony Stewart harshly sent off for a foul on the striker.

An intriguing affair first half saw both sides demonstrate their promotion-chasing credentials but it was the foul by the red-carded Stewart which paved the way for Parrott to break the deadlock, with Wycombe unable to find an equaliser despite some late pressure.

Gareth Ainsworth kept faith with the side that won 2-1 against Charlton in League 1 seven days earlier, meaning there were recalls for Jack Grimmer, Curtis Thompson, Sam Vokes, Garath McCleary, Daryl Horgan and Josh Scowen after being rested to the bench at Man City in midweek.

The game started at a frenetic pace, with Wycombe instantly threading together some smart moves in attack which led to the first chance fro Sam Vokes. Jack Grimmer's cross found its way through to Daryl Horgan on the far side and his cut-back was turned goalwards by Vokes, only for his on-target effort to strike the face of keeper Andrew Fisher and stay out.

Action swung to the other end with an incisive pass down the right splitting the defence, but the cross into the box could only be turned wide by the diving head of Troy Parrott.

Back came Wycombe, with Garath McCleary terrorising Dean Lewington down the right and playing a clever inside pass for Horgan, who spun onto his left and curled an effort onto the top of the bar from the corner of the box.

The entertainment continued with another well-worked move, this time from the Dons, with Parrott doing well to make space for a shot which cannoned into the chest of Ryan Tafazolli from close range.

A head injury sustained by the Dons' Harry Darling disrupted the game's rhythm only momentarily, with MK's keep-ball game and Wycombe's fast counter-attacks continuing to keep the two sets of fans purring, and Scott Twine raised some oohs and aahs with a swerving effort from range which was kept out by David Stockdale.

At the other end, Tafazolli headed home from a Jacobson inswinger but the celebrations were cut short by an offside flag, and the Chairboys were dealt a further blow with a real moment of controversy moments later.

Anthony Stewart was adjudged to have brought down Parrott in the area and the referee pointed to the spot but also showed the red card to Stewart, despite his clear intent to win the ball requiring the 'double jeopardy' rule to come into play where only a yellow should have been issued.

Anyway, the penalty was dispatched by Parrott, leaving the Blues with a real uphill struggle with 10 men.

There were no changes in personnel at the interval, and it was MK who started the stronger, forcing David Stockdale into a full-length save to tip away from Ethan Robson's bending effort from 20 yards.

Wycombe applied pressure with three successive corners which were well dealt with by the hosts, but MK were generally in control of the game and could've stretched their lead had Parrott's low shot carried more venom from just inside the box, allowing Stockdale to make a block low down.

Robson then curled another speculative effort over the bar on the hour-mark, before they turned to the bench in hope of finding the second goal as Max Watters replaced Hiram Boateng, just after Parrott had shot wastefully wide from a cross.

Watters was involved immediately, latching onto a through-ball and cutting inside only to be denied by an outstanding challenge from Joe Jacobson, and Parrott then glanced over from the third of three corners in a row for MK.

Sam Vokes and Garath McCleary made way on 72 minutes as Adebayo Akinfenwa and Brandon Hanlan entered the battle, and Hanlan was straight into the action, meeting Scowen's flick and darting into the box to win a corner.

Scowen lashed over following some hesitation in the MK box, and then Stockdale parried away Twine's drive at the other end, before David Wheeler replaced Daryl Horgan in the Wycombe midfield, earning boos from the fans who celebrated his goal that clinched their promotion two years earlier.

He was involved in a scramble in the home side's box that ended with Jack Grimmer drilling over the bar from distance, and then Tafazolli's header sailed over in another period of Wycombe danger.

But four minutes came and went with the Blues falling just short with 10 men, and needing to dust themselves down in time for the trip to Shrewsbury on Tuesday.

Attendance: 9,355 (including 1,621 away)


Advertisement block