Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Wycombe 4-3 Morecambe

Late Chairboys winner rounds off dramatic second-half at Adams Park.

2 October 2021

Curtis Thompson’s dramatic late winner topped off a frantic and enthralling second-half display as Wycombe overturned a two goal first-half deficit to come out as eventual 4-3 winners.

Visitors Morecambe got into an early lead inside three minutes through Alfie McCalmont, before adding another in what was a difficult first 45 minutes for the Chairboys.

In the second half it was a completely different story, as goals from Daryl Horgan and Sam Vokes in quick succession brought the game level, before Ryan Tafazolli poked in a third to turn the game entirely on its head.

A late equaliser from the Shrimps nearly dampened the mood inside Adams Park, but Thompson’s powerful strike in the dying embers of the match made sure that the Chairboys’ 100% record at home in the league stayed intact.

Showery conditions proved problematic from the off, and Wycombe fell victims to the pitch’s slippery surface inside 3 minutes as McCalmont’s deflected effort slid and squeezed in past David Stockdale.

The Chairboys upped the ante to try and quickly get themselves back into the game, with a series of Joe Jacobson free-kicks being floated into the box, but to no real effect.

Stockdale’s first call to action was a brilliant stop to his bottom right to deny the Shrimps from going two up, who looked increasingly dangerous when getting forward in attack.

The away side would eventually extend their lead through Adam Phillips, who found room in the box to get in on the end of a low cross and prod the ball into the net.

With the weather not letting up any signs of improving, the game became broken and disjointed, with Wycombe struggling to create any real clear cut chances to get back at Morecambe.

Another Jacobson delivery was inviting, and it would be met by the head of Vokes, but he could only glance the ball wide for the best chance for Wycombe in the first half.

A lightning-quick start to the second half for the Blues paid off within minutes thanks to a first goal of the season for Horgan. The Ireland international found himself in a pocket of space after a good spell of pressure, and made use of the greasy pitch to strike with venom across the surface and pull the Chairboys back into contention.

And incredibly three minutes later, the scores were made even to send Adams Park into delirium. Sam Vokes did what he does best and headed home with a deft flick into the far bottom corner, setting up a drama-filled second half.

Morecambe threatened to put themselves back into the lead shortly after, but Josh Scowen was as industrious as ever to keep the ball off the line from a close range effort.

There was a sense and belief amongst Wycombe supporters that a third was coming for the boys in blue, and sure enough a turnaround was complete on 74 minutes. 

What looked like Joe Jacobson scoring direct from a inswinging corner turned out to be a goal awarded to Ryan Tafazolli, who managed to get a touch on the line to ensure the ball was well and truly in, and ensure the Chairboys took lead of the match for the first time.

However it would be a lead that would only last for six minutes as another deflected shot, this time from Jonah Ayunga, was sent the ball looping over Stockdale for another equaliser, setting up a grandstand final 10 minutes to an exhilarating match.

The Chairboys kept pushing forward and driving to find a late winner, with Brandon Hanlan close to scoring within seconds of being substituted onto the pitch, but his chipped shot glanced just wide of the post.

And of course, it was in stoppage time that a winner was found. Shouts of ‘shoot’ rang around the stadium as the ball fell to Curtis Thompson right on the edge of the 18-yard box, and he made no mistake in smashing the ball past the ‘keeper and making Adams Park erupt, wheeling away to celebrate in a togetherly embrace with a number of Wycombe players.

Morecambe's efforts to find an even later equaliser were scuppered by the full-time whistle, rounding off a wet and wild frenzy of a game to make it four wins from four at home in League One for the Blues.

The Chairboys now have two wins on the bounce, and will next take on MK Dons in the Papa Johns Trophy at Stadium MK on Tuesday night.

Advertisement block