Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Wycombe 1-4 Ipswich Town

The unbeaten home league run comes to an end.

2 November 2021

Despite David Wheeler putting Wycombe 1-0 up early in the first half, the Tractor Boys fought back to take away all three points from Adams Park.

Gareth Ainsworth made four changes to the side that took a point from Fleetwood at the weekend. Jack Grimmer, Curtis Thompson, Daryl Horgan and Adebayo Akinfenwa all dropped to the bench, with Jordan Obita, Jason McCarthy, Dominic Gape and David Wheeler all returning to the starting-XI.

A somewhat quiet start burst into life with Brandon Hanlan providing the spark as he expertly controlled Wheeler’s knockdown before swivelling and firing a loose shot over the Ipswich crossbar.

Just after a quarter of an hour, the Chairboys took the lead. A trademark pinpoint Joe Jacobson delivery was knocked into the path of Wheeler by Sam Vokes, and the flying volley from the attacker nestled into the back of the net for his second of the season.

However, just ten minutes later, the Tractor Boys found an equaliser. Bersant Celina, on loan from Dijon, lined an audacious effort up from distance, and despite David Stockdale’s best efforts, ended up in the net.

The visitors could’ve had the lead minutes after, but Stockdale was equal to the low effort.

Half-time: Wycombe 1-1 Ipswich Town

Hanlan began the second half brightly, spinning past Kane Vincent-Young before slicing his effort straight into Walton’s hands.

However, despite the bright start, it was the visitors who dealt the first blow of the half. Kyle Edwards’ cross was clawed away by Stockdale, but straight into the path of Macauley Bonne who turned and blasted his shot into the open net.

Ten minutes later, Ipswich doubled that lead. A marauding run from Vincent-Young on the right hand side got the better of Obita, his layoff to Wesley Burns was pinpoint and the midfielder found the top corner from the edge of the box.

Wycombe had a chance to half the arrears, but after a goalmouth scramble involving Ryan Tafazolli, Vokes and Hanlan, the ball somehow managed to stay out of the Ipswich net.

Ainsworth sought change, and a triple sub nearly proved an instant solution, with Sullay Kaikai forcing a goal-line clearance with his first touch of the game.

Despite the late onslaught from the Chairboys, they couldn’t break down a stubborn away defence, and with Celina striking a fourth into an open goal in stoppage time, the home 100% league record came to an abrupt end.

Full-time: Wycombe 1-4 Ipswich Town

Advertisement block