Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Wycombe 1-0 Bolton Wanderers

Vokes winner sees Wycombe return to winning ways.

20 November 2021

After a tough run of form, Wycombe finally converted their performances into results as the Wanderers claimed a 1-0 win over Ian Evatt’s Bolton, holding firm and gaining the Blues first clean sheet since mid-October.

Gareth Ainsworth named a much changed starting-XI, with five changes from Wycombe’s Tuesday night cup exit. The match also saw the much-anticipated return of Garath McCleary to the matchday squad as the two-time player of the month winner returned to the bench.

Wycombe saw the first chance of the game fall to the feet of Sullay Kaikai - a left footed volley which flew over the bar from Tafazolli’s knockdown, before Sam Vokes struck wide on his left foot shortly afterwards from the edge of the box.

The home side’s strong start continued with Anis Mehmeti receiving a short corner, crossing in for Wheeler’s goal bound flick to be blocked at the back post.

The same duo was involved again on the 12th minute, with Wheeler's shot rebounding into the Albanian’s path. His shot, however, was tame and gathered with ease by Dixon.

Oladapo Afolayan carved out the first opening for the away side, cutting onto his favoured right foot before Tafazolli arrived to block the danger. The winger once again posed a threat on the 20th, eventually seeing his effort cleared by Obita after a poor cross.

Sullay Kaikai teased in the home side’s first free kick of the game. Wheeler fired his cross across goal with a goalmouth scramble ensuing, leaving Sam Vokes puzzled as to how he couldn't bundle the ball home.

The Chairboys' fate looked to be the same as their last two outings when Sam Vokes was fed in by Mehmeti before his strike agonisingly hit both posts and stayed out.

The Wanderers kept chances coming; Anis Mehmeti was adjudged to have been fouled in the box and stepped up to take the resulting penalty but Joel Dixon provided the save for Bolton.

Vokes and Mehmeti seemed to be the stars of the show in the first 45, with another huge chance going tantalisingly close for Sam Vokes on the 35th, as the Welshman nodded Wheeler’s flick millimetres over the bar.

The U21 international Mehmeti danced his way into another opening just before half time, his effort saved at the near post, earning the Chairboys a corner that Tafazolli looped towards goal - landing on the roof of the net and bringing an action packed first half to a close.

Half time: Wycombe Wanderers 0-0 Bolton Wanderers

Bolton started the second half the stronger of the two Wanderers, Dapo Afolayan once again involved as Stockdale made a great save one-on-one to deny him from opening the scoring.

Sullay Kaikai responded for the Blues, beating his man and whistling a sweetly hit effort just past the post from 25 yards.

It was Bolton with the bigger chances as the second half ticked on, with Kachunga played in on goal only to drag his effort wide of the left post.

The 62nd minute saw the long-awaited return of Garath McCleary, with a roar of appreciation for the winger as he entered the fray. Mayhem ensued instantly as his cross found the head of Vokes, only to be nodded just wide of the mark.

Obita was the next to go close for the Blues, driving a fierce effort towards the bottom right corner, forcing a great save from the keeper Dixon in the process.

The home side finally broke the stalemate in the 70th minute. Sam Vokes got the goal that his performance merited, looping a header that dropped into the right-hand side of the goal from captain Jason McCarthy's cross.

Wycombe went ever-so-close to gaining a two-goal advantage instantly after taking the lead. Dixon denied the home side on two occasions- sliding to stop Hanlan’s one-on-one before acrobatically batting away Tafazolli’s corner header.

A flurry of corners resulted for the away side, with brave defending from Stewart and Obita clearing the away side’s best efforts going into additional time, before Afolayan fired over from the edge of the box, as Wycombe hung on to return to winning ways.

Full time: Wycombe Wanderers 1-0 Bolton Wanderers

Advertisement block