Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Wycombe 0-1 Portsmouth

Wanderers beaten at Adams Park despite second half dominance.

13 November 2021

Wycombe fell to a narrow defeat at the hands of Portsmouth, coming agonisingly close on multiple occasions to breaking the resistant Pompey seal.

Gareth Ainsworth made two changes from his side’s last league game at home to Ipswich, with Curtis Thompson and Anis Mehmeti replacing Dominic Gape and David Wheeler for the Chairboys, the Albania U21 international getting his first league start since late August.

Sam Vokes had the first chance of the game for the home side, with the energetic Mehmeti crossing into the Welshman for him to knee the ball just over the bar.

Jordan Obita was shown the first booking of the game, giving Marcus Harness a chance to tee up a free kick for the away side, eventually being cleared as the whistle went for a foul on Stockdale.

Obita was involved soon after in the action at the other end, with the wing back striking the post from the left-hand side of the box, around 12 yards out.

The Chairboys largely dominated the first 10 minutes, with Jacobson striking high and wide after his free kick was cleared.

Brandon Hanlan showed excellent skill to carve himself an opening on the 12th minute, with his shot firing wide of Alex Bass’s left post.

Wanderers’ chances kept coming as the opening 20 minutes ticked on, as Sam Vokes did well to keep the ball alive on the touchline, crossing into Jason McCarthy whose strike found Obita, however the wing back’s effort was a tame one and the Portsmouth keeper gathered with ease.

Pompey came close shortly afterwards with Ronan Curtis eventually being found in the box, however his wayward attempt flew over the Wycombe faithful in the terrace.

Adams Park saw its first penalty of the season in the 27th minute, with Mehmeti brought down in the box, however Joe Jacobson was denied by the young keeper.

End to end action ensued, with Anis Mehmeti, the star of Wanderers opening 45, wriggling into the box before eventually being dispossessed, with the resulting long ball from Bass finding the lively Hirst whose efforts to round David Stockdale were unsuccessful.

Half time: Wycombe 0-0 Portsmouth.

Pompey started the second half the stronger of the two sides, with David Stockdale pulling off an excellent save to deny George Hirst before Sean Raggett headed just over the bar from the resulting corner.

Wanderers’ first opening of the second half came through Mehmeti being slid in on goal by Curtis Thompson, before the resulting shot was parried into Jason McCarthy’s path, with the former Saints man firing over the bar.

The Blues ramped up the pace towards the 60th minute, seeing two corners in quick succession cleared by the away side who stood firm to stop Wycombe from taking the lead.

The away side eventually opened the scoring through Marcus Harness in the 73rd, George Hirst teeing up Harness to roll the ball home past a scrambling Stockdale.

Ainsworth made his first changes of the day straight after the opener, with Akinfenwa and Wheeler entering the fray, with Wycombe’s resident beast heading just wide of the post minutes after his introduction.

Claims for a second penalty from Brandon Hanlan were waved away by referee Neil Hair, after a frustrating Wycombe onslaught saw the Chairboys ramp up the pressure, with numerous crosses agonisingly missing the finishing touch.

It wasn’t to be Wycombe’s day, as Man of the Match Jason McCarthy cut in from the right to strike the post from the edge of the box, before having his effort cleared off the line in the 90th minute.

The Chairboys valiant second half display couldn’t quite find the goal to reflect it, with Anthony Stewart firing over the bar before Vokes and Akinfenwa header’s each forced brilliant saves in Wycombe’s desperate search for an equaliser.

Full time: Wycombe 0-1 Portsmouth.

Advertisement block