Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Women's Reserves progress in Cup

Another win for the Reserves sees them into the next round of the competition.

15 November 2021

Sheena Booker

The Women's Reserves continue their Cup run after a win against Eversley & California at the weekend.

Coming of the back of a comprehensive win last time out, the Chairgirls were hoping for much the same in their first League Cup fixture of the season.

The first ten minutes of the game were scrappy, the ball spending much of its time in the air in the middle of the pitch.

Striker, Naimh Creighton, registered the first shot in the 12th minute but this went wide. Creighton followed on from this in the 20th minute when, running on to a through ball from midfielder, Amy Norfolk, she was again on target but saw this effort smothered by the keeper.

Having now found their attacking impetus, Wycombe saw Amelia Gilbert shoot just over in the 25th minute after playing some intricate one-touch passing with Amy Norfolk, who, herself, saw a shot bounce just over the cross bar, two minutes later and just a further three minutes on, new signing Olivia Thick, saw her effort go wide of the post.

Eversley and California were proving stubborn, and their effort deserved more chances than they got. But the sucker punch from Wycombe came in the 33rd minute when a 25-yard free kick from Captain, Emilie Bamford, bounced just in front of the Eversley keeper and through her hands.

After a second free kick was headed over by Olivia Thick, and Amelia Gilbert had an effort go wide on 40 minutes, Eversley and California had their first effort on goal saved by keeper Lillie Eames on 44 minutes, which saw Wycombe going into half time one-nil up.

Half time: Eversley & California 0-1 Wycombe Wanderers

Eversley came out with more intent in the second and were unlucky not to draw level when an effort on goal was almost turned into her own goal by Wycombe defender, Georgia Bell.

Sally Grimm had a great effort with the outside of her foot rebound from the crossbar on 55 minutes and Bamford had her shot parried wide by the keeper later.  

It wasn’t until the 65th minute that Wycombe doubled their lead – centre back Eve Savage making it two goals in as many games, when she steered her 30-yard free kick into the top corner.

Eversley hit straight back two minutes later but their effort was directed wide by the onrushing Eames, who was in the action immediately afterwards when she smothered an onrushing Eversley striker.

The game was now end to end, Creighton failing to connect with a Sally Grimm cross on 74 minutes, Eversley shooting straight at keeper Eames on 80 minutes and Creighton shooting over two minutes later.

Savage doubled her tally in the 85th minute, when a well-worked short free kick saw Amy Norfolk play it to Savage on the edge of the box leaving her to hammer the ball home, making it 0-3 Wycombe.

Eversley were fighting hard for a well-deserved consolation goal and saw a corner bundled off the line two minutes from time, before a further attack broke down in the box. Their effort was rewarded in the  93rd minute, when a through ball reached an Eversley striker without challenge, and keeper Eames was rounded and left to watch the ball being passed into an empty net.

Final Score: Eversley & California 1-3 Wycombe Wanderers

The Chairgirls will meet Division 1 outfit, Caversham United Women, in the next round.

Advertisement block