Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Women's Firsts drop points to Abingdon Town

22 November 2021

A tough day for Wycombe saw them fall to a heavy defeat away to Abingdon Town. Following on from a convincing victory away to Oxford City last weekend, an unchanged line-up failed to live up to expectations.

The visitors didn’t really look settled from the moment the game started with a litany of misplaced passes and poor decision making. The 13th minute wasn’t lucky for Wycombe, as Emma Newberry was adjudged to have fouled an opponent in the penalty area. The decision to many looked harsh as she had proceeded to guide the ball back to keeper, Amy Whale, under pressure from an opponent. However, Whale found herself facing the penalty that was despatched well, leaving her no chance.

Wycombe struggled to get a foothold in the game as the home team extended their lead on 17 minutes with a long-range effort which Whale should probably have done better with. Having said that, Wycombe were guilty of failing to apply pressure on the ball, leaving Abingdon a clear strike on goal.

The game was not one where the ball was passed around well and often the longer passes upfield were the most successful, certainly for Abingdon’s players, who won the vast majority of first and second balls, allowing them to apply pressure to Wycombe’s defensive unit constantly. It was only a matter of time before Abingdon extended their lead with another long-range effort on 30 minutes.

Shortly after this, Chante Inniss was forced off with heavy knock on the ankle and made way for debutant Ruby Paish stepping up from the ranks of the Under 18s squad. Another enforced change was made when skipper, Sam Jackson, had to come off and was replaced by Charlotte Parrett in midfield.

Half time: Abingdon Town 3–0 Wycombe Wanderers

The second half began fairly well for Wycombe with them now starting to compete with more intensity, and denying Abingdon as much time on the ball as they had been allowed in the first half. Abingdon persevered with their direct and competitive approach and forced a good save down to her left by Amy Whale. A little under 10 minutes had been played when Emma Kern had to withdraw after damaging her hand and was replaced by another youngster making her first appearance for the senior side from the Under 18s, Naomi Tilley. Wycombe enjoyed improved possession for a spell, with the two youngsters showing a maturity and enthusiasm for chasing down their opponents as well as showing some competent technical ability. However, on 73 minutes, Taya McCalmon brought down her opponent to concede another penalty which was duly converted to take the score to 4-0.

The game was petering out when a keenly contested challenge resulted in youngster, Kiyan Fryer, needing urgent pitch side assistance. Thankfully, the reports are that she has not experienced any ligament damage as was first feared.

Overall, a poor performance from Wycombe, who managed to salvage some pride and self-respect from their second half performance, with two bright lights in the youngsters stepping up into a physically intense game for their first senior debuts.

Full time: Abingdon Town 4-0 Wycombe Wanderers

Next week sees Wycombe return home to face Woodley United in another bottom end of the table clash with a 2pm kick off. The Chairgirls will be keen to rectify matters on Sunday as they strive to create a bit of breathing space between themselves and the bottom two.

Line up: Amy Whale; Kara Howes; Taya McCalmon; Amy Leach; Emma Newberry; Sam Jackson (Charlotte Parrett 40); Sarah Harrison; Sammy Nazif (Kiyana Fryer 60); Chante Inniss (Ruby Paish 35); Emma Kern (Naomi Tilley 52); Felicity West (Hannah Golightly 75).   

Advertisement block