Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Wycombe 1-0 Leicester City

Chairboys claim impressive pre-season win over Leicester City.

28 July 2021

Daryl Horgan’s second half strike secured a 1-0 win over the reigning FA Cup holders on a memorable night at Adams Park

Wycombe got the action underway sporting the brand-new gold and white away kit in front of a 5000-person crowd.

The Chairboys started the game brightly with some nice early exchanges and a curling effort from Nick Freeman went narrowly wide inside the opening 10 minutes.

Akinfenwa was the second Wycombe player to go close only moments later, the ball dropping to him inside the area before lashing a slot that grazed the side netting. The striker, recently signing a new contract to keep him at Adams Park for another year, was causing plenty of early problems for the Leicester back four as the hosts maintained their positive opening start.

Leicester fashioned their first chance of the game from a free kick close to the corner flag. A whipped delivery was met by a powerful header from Caglar Soyuncu who headed over from around 8 yards.

Leicester settled into more of a rhythm and Tawanda Masawanhise, who was the standout performer in their previous friendly against Burton Albion, drove towards the by-line and cut in a low cross, finding Jamie Vardy free in the middle. David Stockdale stood up well to block Vardy’s near post effort before pouncing on the loose ball to prevent any follow up and keep the game goalless.

The lively Masawanhise continued to cause problems for the Chairboys, this time through a shot that flashed wide of Stockdale’s post. Wycombe responded immediately with their first real effort on goal since the opening ten minutes. Akinfenwa was again involved in the build up as he laid the ball on to new signing, Oli Pendlebury, who went for placement over power and whipped a curling effort just over the bar.

Half time: Wycombe Wanderers 0-0 Leicester.

Both sides made plenty of changes for the start of the second half, England’s James Maddison being one of 11 changes for the visitors and the hosts introducing several new faces including club captain, Matt Bloomfield, amongst others.

After just 2 minutes it one of the Wycombe substitutes that almost broke the deadlock. Pendlebury whipped in a teasing cross and Alex Samuel, at full stretch, could only half-connect with a shot that sailed wide.

As the game looked like it might begin to fizzle out, a series of Chairboys chances sparked it back into life. Firstly, Anthony Stewart’s pinpoint cross found Daryl Horgan at the back post, who headed an effort goalward only to be blocked by Ben Nelson. As Leicester tried to counter, Anis Mehmeti pinched the ball back for the Chairboys and his deflected effort was well saved by the legs of Jakub Stolarczyk.

After Wycombe’s foray into the Leicester half, Maddison and Iheanacho combined well to crank up the pressure on the hosts, with Iheanacho’s first of two efforts in a short space of time expertly blocked by Stewart before his second effort was well saved by Stockdale.

Back down the other end, and it was Wycombe that broke the deadlock. A fine piece of play on the edge of the box between a trialist and Mehmeti saw the ball work its way into the box, falling to the feet of Daryl Horgan who made no mistake by firing into the bottom right-hand corner of the net. The goal was met by a rapturous applause from the Adams Park faithful as the game headed into the final ten minutes.

Substitute goalkeeper Adam Pryzbek did well when called into action late on and the Chairboys held on to claim a deserved win.

It was a fantastic reward for our loyal fans that have missed out on so much live football over the past 18 months, and the celebrations were rounded off by a memorable fireworks display.

The pre-season preparations will be put to the text next Saturday when we face Accrington Stanley for the first fixture of the 2021/22 League One campaign.

Advertisement block