Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Wycombe 1-4 Tottenham

Spurs turn on the class late on.

25 January 2021

The floodgates opened in the dying minutes of tonight's FA Cup tie with Tottenham Hotspur, as three goals in quick succession ended Wycombe’s chances of progressing in the competition.

Harry Kane, Heung-min Son and Gareth Bale all featured for Spurs, as the Chairboys held the Premier League outfit at 1-1 until the 86th minute.

It was certainly Spurs who started the brighter of the two teams. A couple of their early corners left dangerously uncontested; Gareth Bale unable to get any real contact on either. However, it was Wycombe who had the next real chance as an Admiral Muskwe header forced an excellent save from Joe Hart, and the subsequent corner whipped in by Joe Jacobson was punched away.

The next period saw chances for both sides. Bale was given a little too much time just outside of the 18-yard-box but pulled it wide. Some great play by Fred Onyedinma and Muskwe down the left-hand side saw a cross pass inches from Matt Bloomfield’s outstretched foot, and a minute later Onyedinma’s shot flew over the bar.

The Wycombe pressure paid off minutes later. The ball was held up well by David Wheeler, who managed to find the feet of Uche Ikpeazu. Uche’s shot was flicked by Davinson Sanchez into the path of Onyedinma who was able to slot home in the bottom left corner. 1-0 Wycombe!

A blow for the Chairboys saw Gareth Ainsworth forced into making an early sub - Joe Jacobson having to be replaced by Darius Charles. The substitute was in immediate action, as Moussa Sissoko’s shot was deflected onto the crossbar and back into the hands of Ryan Allsop by the blue.

But it was Wycombe who came close next, with Ikpeaku causing issues again, as he was able to win a free-kick in a dangerous position. Without set-piece maestro Jacobson on the pitch, the opportunity fell to Jason McCarthy, whose curling effort bounced tantalisingly off the side netting.

Spurs looked to end the half on a strong note, as Japhet Tanganga’s shot hit Allsop’s bar from a corner. It was the second minute of stoppage time that they were able to capitalise, as Lucas Moura’s ball into the Wycombe box was flicked over Allsop and into the net by Bale. 1-1 as the whistle blew for half-time.

José Mourinho’s men came out for the second half meaning business, and some very neat play from Lamela, Lucas and Bale saw three chances zip wide across the face of goal within a matter of minutes. Allsop was then called into action again, getting down well on his left to keep out a Lamela shot.

Not content with the Spurs firepower already on the Adams Park pitch, the 58th minute saw Carlos Vinicius replaced by England captain Harry Kane. Two minutes later it was Wycombe’s turn, as Matt Bloomfield was replaced by Garath McCleary.

Bale looked dangerous for Spurs, and his cross looked like it was surely going to make it to a white shirt, but Allsop was on hand to push the ball away, and past the onrushing Lamela. Kane’s cross zipped across the Wycombe box minutes later, but again, none of the Tottenham attackers were able to make contact.

Another round of Spurs changes saw the addition of more big-hitters, as Tanguy Ndombele and Son Hueng-Min joined the fray. Fresh Tottenham legs put yet more pressure on the Wycombe defence as Kane was able to get a shot away - this time high and wide.

Ainsworth was on hand to bring on some fresh legs of his own, as Ikpeazu and Muskwe made way for Bayo Akinfenwa and Scott Kashket. Both making an impact early as Akinfenwa was able to flick on to Kashket who unfortunately couldn’t get anything behind the ball in the box.

The 86th minute saw the Wycombe defence finally bow under the pressure. Allsop did exceptionally well to parry a close-range Kane shot, but Harry Winks was on hand to curl an effort from the deflection into the back of the net. 2-1 Tottenham. 

Despite Wycombe’s best efforts to pile on the pressure and find the equaliser, it was Spurs who were looking dominant. Low and behold, this dominance saw them convert again, as Son slipped a ball through to Ndombele who made it three.

Ndombele finished the game off in stoppage time, as his deflected shot flew past Allsop. 

A heart-breaking end to a fantastic occasion. Wycombe fought right to the end, but the big hitters on the Spurs bench did a professional job when they came on to deny the Chairboys a place in the fifth round of the Emirates FA Cup.

Ainsworth will be proud of the performance the players put in and will be hoping that they can replicate today’s strong start against Brentford in the league on Saturday.

Advertisement block