Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Wycombe 0-3 Nottm Forest

Blues fall to defeat at Adams Pa

6 February 2021

A bright first half from the Chairboys wasn’t enough, as Nottingham Forest ran away with a 3-0 victory. Glenn Murray’s brace and an Anthony Knockaert goal put the game out of reach, with the Blues unable to take their first-half chances.

Wycombe were able to get two early shots away; Uche Ikpeazu with a solo drive through the Forest midfield, culminating in a shot flying high over the crossbar followed by Fred Onyedinma bringing it down and just about managing to get the ball to Uche who whipped the ball past the post.

The Reds went ahead arguably against the run of play, as Glenn Murray managed to get on the end of a long ball and lob Ryan Allsop from outside of the box. He was making a bit of a habit of scoring against the Blues, with this being his seventh at Adams Park. 1-0 Nottingham Forest.

Allsop kept the deficit at one on the 15-minute mark. A dangerous break from Forest saw Anthony Knockaert cut inside and get the shot away low and hard. Taking a deflection, Allsop did well to get down and push the ball away for a corner.

Wycombe still looked bright. Onyedinma pulled out some stepovers to get past the Forest right-back and win the corner. Jordan Obita delivered a looped ball to Ryan Tafazolli at  the back post. Taf managed to head back across the box, but Uche couldn’t get his header on target.

A free-kick to Wycombe on the half-an-hour mark gave the Blues another chance to go level. Obita stepped up to take, but his effort bounced off the top of the net. Minutes later, the Chairboys had it in the back of the net, only to see the assistant referee’s flag raised, after a great ball from Nnamdi Ofoborh saw Uche’s diving header beat the keeper.

Although Forest looked dangerous on the break, Blues were the better team going in on the half.

Half-time 1-0 to Forest.

Forest came out of the blocks stronger than Wycombe with some early pressure and corners which were well defended by the back line. Onyedinma looked sharp down the right-hand side early on for the Blues, and his cross was met by a tantalising bicycle kick by Uche which, although on target, didn’t have the power to trouble Brice Samba.

Wycombe were unlucky to concede a penalty on the 54th minute, as Glenn Murray used his experience to draw a foul in the box, and stepped up to convert. 2-0 Forest.

Some Wycombe changes saw Onyedinma and Bloomfield make way for Garath McCleary and Anis Mehmeti. The Blues were still causing issues in the Forest box, and eyebrows were raised as Josh Knight looked set to get his shot away before a red shirt stepped straight across him. No sign of the referee’s whistle.

The hosts weren’t getting anything from the man in the middle, but were still pushing hard for an elusive first goal. At the Wycombe end, Allsop did well to keep it at 2-0 when Forest were able to get a dangerous looking shot away from open play.

Another Wycombe change saw Curtis Thompson take the place of Nnamdi Ofoborh.

It wasn’t long before Forest were able to capitalise on their pressure, as a ball played square across the box evaded the Wycombe defence and Anthony Knockaert lashed the ball into the top corner. 3-0 Forest.

The final Wycombe changes saw Uche and Horgan make way for Alex Samuel and Adebayo Akinfenwa.

The fresh legs were unable to make a real impact in the game, as the final minutes saw the game go flat. 

Despite the bright start, Wycombe’s inability to convert in the first half really came back to haunt them as Forest took their chances. The Reds will be happy to take the three points, as at the end of the first-half it looked like it could have gone either way. 

Full time 3-0 Nottingham Forest.

Wycombe will look to rebound on Tuesday as they take on Sheffield Wednesday at Hillsborough.

Advertisement block