Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Millwall 0-0 Wycombe

Goalless at The Den.

20 February 2021

The Chairboys picked up a point and a clean sheet against mid-table Millwall at The Den, with clear cut chances at a premium at both ends of the pitch.

During a quiet first half, the action was limited with David Stockdale keeping out Millwall’s best effort from Mahlon Romeo and Bartosz Białkowski parrying Daryl Horgan’s strike.

The following half started with much more intensity as both sides found space. Scott Mahone tested Stockdale with a fierce half-volley, but the Wycombe keeper was able to tip it over the bar.

The Chairboys went close to breaking the deadlock through a set-piece as Ryan Tafazolli headed the ball back towards Josh Knight and Anthony Stewart, but both defenders were unable to get a clear shot at goal which meant the game ended goalless.

Gareth Ainsworth’s team news revealed a change in goal for the first time this season, with David Stockdale replacing Ryan Allsop due to an injury picked up in training on Thursday. The only other change for Wycombe was former Millwall player, Fred Onyedinma, who replaced Garath McCleary in the starting eleven.

Stockdale, who was making his first competitive start for Wycombe in over a year, was the first goalkeeper called into action. He made a smart double save to stop Mahlon Romeo, who was able to cut inside and get a strike away at the Chairboys goal.

The rebound fell to Millwall’s top goalscorer, Jed Wallace, who wasted no time in shooting, but Stockdale was able to turn the ball over the bar following an outstretched save with his legs. The move was eventually ruled as offside, but Stockdale wasn’t to know.

Wycombe managed to get their first strike away at goal courtesy of Anis Mehmeti, but a deflection took the pace off the ball and Bartosz Białkowski was able to get down to his right-hand side.

With both teams trying to get a hold of the game, Ben Thompson went close for the home side, volleying a shot wide of the goal after Jed Wallace delivered a set-piece into the box.

A few moments later, Daryl Horgan went close for the Chairboys with a fierce effort forcing the Millwall keeper to awkwardly parry away the Irishman’s strike. That was the final action for Wycombe in a quiet yet composed first half.

The second half started with much more intensity as Uche Ikpeazu won a free-kick after going on a great run. Anis Mehmeti took the resulting set-piece, but the 20-year-old put the ball over the bar.

Millwall responded instantly with a dangerous passage of play instigated by Romeo, which saw Mason Bennett and Matt Smith go down but the referee ignored the penalty appeals from the home side.

Scott Mahone then tested Stockdale with a strong half-volley, but the Wycombe keeper produced an equally brilliant stop to tip the ball over the bar.

The Chairboys got another chance to carve out a goal-scoring opportunity with a free-kick falling to captain Anthony Stewart and Josh Knight. However, neither player could get a clean shot away at goal with the home side blocking any clear chances.

Wycombe had a penalty shout twenty minutes from time. Fred Onyedinma produced a clever piece of skill to beat one Millwall player, but the second, Alex Pearce, collided with the winger in the box. The referee, again, ignored any appeals for a spot-kick.

Ikpeazu, who was heavily involved during the game, produced a nice move similar to his goal against Brentford, but his strike lacked the quality necessary to beat the Millwall keeper.

With the game coming to an end, Jordan Obita delivered a pinpoint set-piece to pick out Tafazolli but the defenders' header was straight at Białkowski.

Although both sides made changes to maintain the high intensity, clear cut chances remained at a premium and the game ended goalless, earning Stockdale a clean sheet on his return to the side.

Wycombe will look ahead to a local derby against Reading on Tuesday at Adams Park.

Advertisement block