Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Wycombe Women's Firsts secure another three points

The Chairgirls pick up some more vital points at home.

7 December 2021

Sheena Booker

Wycombe were looking to build on last week’s convincing win against a Winchester team that always provide tough opposition and they did so in style.

The game started with Wycombe seizing the early initiative with the impressive Chante Inniss hitting the bar and Emma Kern’s follow-up being well saved by the keeper for a corner. The resulting corner was cleared to safety much to the relief of the visitors. Wycombe continued to press only to see their stylish play thwarted by a long range effort when Winchester's Cheyney was afforded too much time and space with her shot flying into the roof of the net.

Earlier in the season, Wycombe may have bowed under the pressure of going behind but not this time. They continued with their aggressive approach moving the ball quickly and accurately and asking questions of their visitors defensive abilities. The lively Naomi Tilley making her full debut having risen from the under 18’s and reserve teams this season caused problems for the Winchester back line, linking up well with youngster Ruby Paish and the lively Inniss.

The breakthrough came when Tilley was upended some 35 yards out from goal. Sarah Harrison despatched the free kick into the top corner of the net to draw the scores level on 26 minutes. Wycombe did not rest on their laurels and took the lead 3 minutes later when Inniss latched onto a cross from Newberry to finish well with the outside of her right foot.

Half-time: Wycombe Wanderers 2-1 Winchester City Flyers

The second half, as expected, saw Winchester come out of the blocks quickly to apply pressure on their hosts. However, the defensive line was marshalled well by skipper Hudson alongside Amy Leach and Amelia Sage making her second start for the senior side in as many weeks. These three helped by the energetic Emma’s in Kern and Newberry, made sure that Amy Whale had little to do. Whale had to be alert from the dangerous set pieces which were well delivered by Winchester whose threat was always lurking. 

Wycombe continued to push hard to extend their lead with Kara Howes coming close as did Inniss, Paish and Harrison. 

The hosts continued to work hard to deny their visitors time and space in which to play and did so right up to the final whistle ensuring their first back to back league wins of the season and give themselves some breathing space from the teams below them. That’s 3 wins from the last 4 league games for the Chairgirls which is an impressive turnaround after a poor start to the season.

Full-time: Wycombe Wanderers 2-1 Winchester City Flyers

Next week sees the Chairgirls in League Cup action away to Abingdon United in 2pm kick-off. 

Advertisement block