Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Wycombe 2-1 Burton Albion

The Chairboys put another three points on the board.

7 December 2021

Excellent finishes from Brandon Hanlan and Garath McCleary helped Wanderers make it four matches unbeaten as they overcame Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink's Burton side.

Gareth Ainsworth made three changes from the side that brought home a point from Hillsborough last Saturday, the ten-day break seeing illnesses catch Ryan Tafazolli and Anthony Stewart and spelling a first EFL appearance for Chris Forino.

It was the away side with the first opportunity of the match, former Chairboy Amadi-Holloway volleying wide within the first 60 seconds, much to the approval of the Wycombe faithful in the terrace.

Wanderers’ first chance came in the 11th minute of the game, as Sam Vokes glanced Obita’s cross over the bar and into the travelling Brewers fans.

Garath McCleary headlined a flurry of Wycombe pressure, volleying a powerful effort goalwards that Ben Garratt would just keep out of the Burton goal, before a goalmouth scramble left Jordan Obita wondering how he hadn’t converted.

The deadlock was broken with a wonder goal for the Chairboys. Brandon Hanlan received Jack Grimmer’s pass just inside the opposition half, before showing incredible footwork to beat two men and bend a curling effort into the bottom right corner from just outside the box.

The Blues continued the pressure after Hanlan’s exquisite opener, Garath McCleary at the heart of the action, firing a fierce effort towards the bottom corner that the Burton ‘keeper did excellently to keep out.

Shortly afterwards the Wycombe defence fancied their chances at scoring, Jack Grimmer having an effort cleared off the line before debutant Forino lofted an effort just over the bar from Vokes’ excellent knock-down.

Amadi-Holloway was the opposition's brightest spark in the first 45, firing another effort into Stockdale’s awaiting hands in the 31st minute.

Wycombe’s goalscorer Hanlan had another huge chance towards the end of the opening half, a volley being deflected over from the edge of the six-yard box, however referee Josh Smith deemed the result a Burton goal kick.

The lively McCleary was the man to double Wycombe’s lead on the stroke of half time. Vokes was on hand with a pin-point flick to play Obita through on goal. The Royals turned Chairboys teammate squared it for McCleary to slam home from a tight angle, placing Wanderers firmly in control of the contest.

Half-time: Wycombe Wanderers 2-0 Burton Albion

Burton found a way back into the tie with a deflected effort from Shaugnessy early in the second half. Wycombe were unable to clear their lines and the Brewers capitalised on the home side’s lapse in concentration, halving the deficit for the away side.

The Blues almost replied instantly through Jordan Obita, who somehow fired wide on his weaker right foot from just inside the six-yard box, coming agonisingly close to restoring the Chairboys’ two goal lead.

Numerous passages of play went by with Burton unable to form a clear-cut chance. Wanderers defended their lead well with Forino looking impressively composed on his league debut.

Jordan Obita was once again involved in the action as the half ticked on, blasting an effort just wide of the post after some impressive link-up play between Mehmeti and Hanlan to tee up the wing back.

A lacklustre second half saw few chances emerge for both sides, crosses from wing backs Obita and McCarthy going just over the head of their intended target of Vokes, before Joe Jacobson sent a textbook corner tantalisingly close as his inswinger whistled past the post.

Wycombe had the opportunity to wrap up the three points as the clock turned to 90 minutes, Adebayo Akinfenwa heading narrowly over the bar, leaving a nervy 6 additional minutes awaiting the home side.

Ainsworth’s men stood firm to assure the three points belonged to the Blues, leaving Wycombe second in the table on goal difference and starting December’s run of fixtures with a win that would propel Wanderers into the League One automatic promotion places.

Full-time: Wycombe Wanderers 2-1 Burton Albion

Advertisement block