Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Women's under-18s hit great eight

Chairgirls romp to victory against Maidenhead Ravens.

19 April 2021

Wycombe's women's team's under-18s recorded a superb 8-0 victory over Maidenhead Ravens on Saturday.

Going into the game on the back of two comprehensive wins, the girls were full of confidence playing against a team bottom of the league. However, a slow start and some stubborn defending left Wycombe ruing a number of missed opportunities in the first 15 minutes.

The deadlock was finally broken on 18 minutes, when striker Rohanna Myers followed up on a cross that was spilled by the keeper to head it back over their goalie's head and in the back of the net.

Despite hitting the crossbar, shooting wide and having a number of attempts saved, Wycombe could not take advantage of their much superior possession and finished the half 1-0 up.

Wycombe came out for the second half with even more determination and better conviction, taking just two minutes for Eve Savage, up for a corner, to tap in from close range after some ping pong in the box.

Victory was secured less than two minutes later when Maddie Woods, receiving a pass from Leah Russell on the wing, shot from the edge of the area and into the far corner of the net on 48 minutes.

Wycombe had now found their shooting boots and were creating opportunities from all over the pitch, and on 54 minutes, Amelia Gilbert found the top left corner of the net after some good closing down on the edge of the area. Amelia wasn’t finished there, latching on to a through-ball and scoring her second just a minute later.

Hard work and effort in closing the ball down meant that Maidenhead spent most of the remainder of the game in their own half and after having a goal disallowed for handball earlier in the game, Leah Russell continued her scoring form in the 60th minute, tapping in from Sally Grimm’s right hand cross.

Kiyanna Fryer made it 7-0 in the 72nd minute, scoring for the second consecutive game when she shot past the reach of the goalkeeper, having followed up on a parried shot.

The final goal of the game came on the 78th minute, when winger Sally Grimm cut in from the left wing and scored in the bottom corner.

Another great performance from the team who aren’t showing any effects of some many weeks out of the game. On to the next, a much tougher proposition, top of the league Charlbury.

Advertisement block