Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Chairgirls make cup progress

Pinker and Bagshaw on target.

23 September 2020

The Chairgirls welcomed Thames Valley League Division 1 opponents to Flackwell Heath in the preliminary qualifying round of the Vitality Women’s FA Cup on Sunday.

As expected, Wycombe being the senior side dominated possession and created lots of opportunities. However, Eversley dug deep and showed their mettle by putting together a few positive phases of their own but found the Wycombe defence resolute and protecting first time ever stand-in keeper Emma Dean, usually a defender.

Tara Woodward and Caz Bisson both missed good chances to open the scoring as did Rae Roberts and Lindsay Pinker. Pinker was denied by the woodwork twice in the first half when a free kick from 25 yards rattled the bar and then a header from a Bisson corner hit the inside of the post and bounced into the waiting hands of the keeper. The woodwork intervened twice more in the half adding further frustration to the Chairgirls.

The deadlock was finally broken on 43 minutes when a fine cross from Bisson found the head of Pinker who had run from deep.

The second half served up more of the same with the Chairgirls looking good in possession but squandering opportunities. Bisson, Woodward, Hoesli-Atkins and O’Connor all failing to convert when faced with good chances to extend the lead. With the Chairgirls dominating possession, it was little wonder that there would always be the risk of a lapse in concentration. Sure enough, on 65 minutes, a poor pass back to Dean left her exposed for an Eversley equaliser.

Wycombe reacted positively with Bagshaw striking the woodwork.  This was followed by another strike from Bisson hitting the post. Other chances came and went with Eversley defending stoutly but unable to really mount any meaningful attacks of their own.  The Chairgirls after another spell of sustained pressure saw a fierce Pinker shot strike the arms of a defender who was protecting her head resulting in a penalty. Bagshaw stepped up and struck the ball home with confidence to give the Chairgirls the lead.

In the closing minutes, substitute Sarah Harrison and then Woodward saw shots rebound back off the frame of the goal much to the frustration of anyone associated with the Chairgirls.

In summary, had the Chairgirls converted even half the chances created and not been thwarted by the frame of the goal on eight occasions, the scoreline would have made for a far more comfortable afternoon. The Chairgirls will now travel face Comets FC of the Greater London Women’s Football league in the first qualifying round on Sunday 4 October.

Team: Dean; Mobbs; Leach (Newberry 76 mins); Lynch; Pinker; Hoesli-Atkins; Bagshaw (Harrison 74 mins); Roberts (Parrett 45 mins); O’Connor; Woodward; Bisson.

Unused subs: Povey; Hudson; Riley-Phillips.

Advertisement block