Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Wycombe 2-1 Blackpool

Nick Freeman and Alex Samuel strike early to move Wanderers to 50 points.

28 January 2020

The Chairboys sealed a 2-1 victory under the Adams Park floodlights with early strikes from Nick Freeman and Alex Samuel and the Tangerines scoring through substitute Kiernan Dewsbury-Hall.

It was the home side that made an early breakthrough on the fifth minute. Samuel used his excellent footwork down the right wing, finding enough room to cross the ball into the area, finding Freeman who fired the ball home.

Samuel certainly started the game with a point to prove, and he built on his bright start to the game by holding off Ben Heneghan, allowing himself to be through on goal. David Wheeler placed a perfectly timed pass through to the Welshman, allowing him to complete the move with a neat finish past Mark Howard in the Blackpool net just before the tenth minute mark.

Shortly after doubling their advantage, the Chairboys were attacking once again. This time it was Paul Smyth with clever trickery on the left flank, but he could only see his cross turned behind for a corner, which eventually came to nothing.

As the first half developed, Gareth Ainsworth’s men were in control of the game all over the park. Blackpool were attempting to record a shot on target but struggled to piece together any sort of dangerous attack to threaten the Wycombe defence.

The home side took the two-goal advantage into the break and when play resumed for the second period, they looked to add to the scoring immediately. Matt Bloomfield had an effort on goal from inside the area that was deflected away leaving Blackpool to deal with the danger – which they did well.

The pressure continued to mount on the Seasiders' defence, Smyth having a shot at goal which was palmed into the path of Samuel, whose effort was nodded away. Despite this clearance, Bloomfield was alert to the shooting opportunity only to see his strike travel wide of the post.

With the away side struggling to threaten going forward, the Chairboys recorded another shot at Howard’s goal. This time it was Wheeler who got his head on the end of a McCarthy free-kick but the header flew just over the crossbar.

The away side tried much harder in the second period to pull a goal back. Ollie Turton got forward well to set himself up in front of goal, but he could only see his effort go well wide of the target.


The travelling Tangerines did manage to find the net in the 86th minute. Substitute, Dewsbury-Hall fired home from 20-yards out with David Stockdale unable to make the save.

Advertisement block