Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Peterborough 4-0 Wycombe

First-half red card and penalty proves costly for the Wanderers.

22 January 2020

A first-half red card shown to Giles Phillips - and the award of a penalty to Peterborough - was the turning point as Wanderers went down 4-0 at the Weston Homes Stadium on Tuesday night.

Ivan Toney converted the spot-kick and added another later on, with Siriki Dembele and Jack Taylor also on target for Darren Ferguson's men who collected their first win in six.

The home side looked the brightest in the opening stages of the game, exploiting the space down the left wing but failing to find that cutting edge in the final third. Despite this early pressure, the Chairboys managed to stand strong and clear their lines. 

As the fifteen minute mark approached, possession was still being shared but with the home side threatening on the attack once again. This time, Dan Butler crossed into the area from the right looking for the run of Ivan Toney but the Wanderers keeper gathered the danger well. 

The deadlock was broken on the 23rd minute from the spot. Following a suspected push by Giles Phillips in the Posh area, he was dismissed by referee Charles Breakspear leaving Ivan Toney to slot home from the spot.

However, the 10-men of Wycombe didn’t let the man disadvantage hinder them at this point, Josh Parker picked up the knockdown from Adebayo Akinfenwa brilliantly allowing him to let rip from distance but he couldn’t quite keep the shot down. 

With the half time whistle approaching, Gareth Ainsworth’s men continued to drive for a first half equaliser. Joe Jacobson stung the palms of Christy Pym in the home net with a free-kick just outside the box with their luck not seeming to change. 

Matt Bloomfield was next to test the Posh keeper, forcing a strong save with a long-range effort. Moments later at the other end the travelling Wanderers were punished, Siriki Dembele placing the ball past Ryan Allsop to double the home side’s advantage. 

The Chairboys keeper reacted well to numerous spells of danger from Posh to keep them out. Allsop being forced to make a well placed save to deny a close range shot from Sam Szmodics. The home side took their two goal advantage into the break. 

Despite a fairly bright start to the second period from Wanderers, Jack Taylor was left in space to put a right-footed finish into the back of the net on the 53rd minute. 

Filled with confidence after netting in front of the packed terrace at the Weston Homes Stadium, Taylor looked to double his tally for the evening. Commanding work in the middle of the park allowed for a chance at goal which was soon denied by the Chairboys defence. 

Jason McCarthy aimed to craft out a chance with just 15 minutes left on the clock, his free-kick fell to the feet of Curtis Thomspon but his shot was blocked in a crowded penalty area. 

At the other end, Toney found a rebound at his feet in front of goal and he made no mistake to score his second of the game and worsen the Chairboys disappointment in the 73rd minute. 

Unable to pull one back on a chilly Tuesday evening in Cambridgeshire, the Chairboys fell to a convincing defeat against strong opposition on the night. 

Advertisement block