Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Wycombe 0-1 Fleetwood

Paddy Madden wins it for the Cod Army.

11 February 2020

The Chairboys missed out on the chance to end Tuesday night level on points with leaders Rotherham United as they fell to a 1-0 defeat to Fleetwood Town at Adams Park.

Paddy Madden bagged the only goal of the game with 15 minutes remaining as Wycombe dropped down to fourth.

It was the visitors who started off the strongest after a period of pressure lead to a corner which was headed into the side-netting by Ched Evans with only a minute on the clock.

The number nine was in the thick of it again just moments later after nearly capitalising on a mistake at the back, but Ryan Allsop was on hand to block the striker’s shot.

Evans continued to cause all sorts of problems in the early stages after heading Paul Coutts’ cross just whiskers over the crossbar on seven minutes.

Up the other end, it was the hosts’ turn to try and break the dead-lock through Nick Freeman. The Chairboys’ number 22 cut inside before drilling hard and low just past the near post.

After a dramatic first quarter-of-an-hour, the next 15 minutes proved to be significantly quieter until McKay found dangerman Evans in the box, but his close-range effort was well saved.

Joe Jacobson’s no stranger at scoring direct from a corner and he almost did it again just past the half-hour mark, forcing ‘keeper Alex Cairns to palm away the danger.

Shortly after Danny Andrew sent a strike just over the bar, it was the same outcome for Glenn Whelan. The former Premier League man latched onto a short corner before drilling the ball slightly above the goal-mouth.

Josh Parker nearly ended the first half with a thunderbolt of a goal but after he let rip from just inside the area, the ball could only find the crossbar.

Despite a whole host of chances to open the scoring from both sides in the first period, it was stalemate at half-time.

However, Fleetwood did have the ball in the net 11 minutes into the second half when Evans played the ball across goal for Madden to tap home, but the flag was raised.

The visitors were then reduced to 10 men when Evans received a straight red card for catching Jason McCarthy in the face with his elbow on 68 minutes.

And the hosts nearly capitalised on the dismissal moments later after a cross from the left was met by the head of substitute Adebayo Akinfenwa who could only direct it wide.

The miss proved costly as the visitors opened the scoring with 15 minutes remaining after McKay curled the ball into danger and it found Allsop’s bottom left corner via the slightest touches from Madden.

With four minutes to go, Fleetwood should have added another after a mistake at the back gifted   Harvey Saunders the chance to loop the ball over Allsop. However, the Chairboys ‘keeper did well to race back and palm away the danger.

It didn’t matter though as the visitors saw out the 1-0 victory despite manager Joey Barton also receiving his marching orders in stoppage time.

Gareth Ainsworth’s side travel to Bolton Wanderers on Saturday as they hope to return to winning ways.

Advertisement block