Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Wycombe 0-1 Stoke City

Powell grabs a late winner.

2 December 2020

Chairboys fans were back at Adams Park under the floodlights for the first time in 284 days, as Stoke City scored a late winner.

Adams Park opened its gates to 1,000 season ticket holders and whilst the stands were loud, action on the pitch during the first half was quiet, with both sides lacking any major quality to make an impact on the scoreline.

The Chairboys created a few good chances in the second half, but Stoke managed to get a goal with 15 minutes to go after Nick Powell headed home from close range.

Even though Wycombe fought hard to end, coming close with shots from Anthony Stewart and Daryl Horgan, the away side took all three points. Wycombe’s next outing is away to Preston.

Gareth Ainsworth’s team news revealed a 100th appearance for Jason McCarthy in a Wycombe shirt and a start for Matt Bloomfield, after scoring last time out away against Derby.

The home fans presence clearly had an effect in the early stages, with the first chance of the night falling for the Chairboys. Alex Samuel glanced a corner onto the far post, met by a huge roar from the home crowd.

Stoke kept Wycombe focused though as Daryl Horgan was called into action moments later clearing away a header on the goal line after Jacob Brown leapt highest to win the ball.  

The away side then had a succession of headed chances that went over the bar, with former Burnley striker, Sam Vokes, on the end of most of them.

Wycombe had one final chance before the half was up through Horgan. The Irishman was teed up for a half-volley, striking it sweetly, however, the Stoke goalkeeper, Joe Bursik, had it covered. The sides went into the break goalless.

It was a lively restart with a strong tackle from Jordan Cousins on Fred Onyedinma. There were huge appeals for something more than a yellow from both the fans and the players, but the referee waved away any pleas.

After the introduction of Bayo Akinfenwa and Scott Kaskhet, the Chairboys looked like a better side. Horgan skilfully created space to get a shot away, only just going over the crossbar.

Stoke City did get a chance though, after a period of Wycombe possession, courtesy of James McClean who picked out Nick Powell and the unmarked midfielder was there to head it home for the away side.

As the game entered the final ten minutes, Ryan Allsop was called into action to keep out Tyrese Campbell, making a good save low down to his right-hand side.

The Chairboys came close with one final chance in injury time through Anthony Stewart, but he could only power his shot over the bar after a scramble in the opposition area.

Advertisement block