Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Wycombe 1-2 Coventry City

Wycombe denied late equaliser.

12 December 2020

In front of 2,000 fans, Wycombe were denied a late equaliser against Coventry City, after Scott Kashket’s strike was ruled out for offside in the 94th minute.

Every kick, tackle and set-piece received rapturous applause from the Wycombe faithful as they returned in their numbers to support their side. The opening half saw two goals scored by Coventry skipper Liam Kelly.

Kelly's first came from a low-driven shot 25-yards out, followed by a header into the back of the net after getting on the end of a free-kick. The second half saw Joe Jacobson score from the spot for the second game in a row after substitute David Wheeler won the penalty.

Wycombe thought they had scored a late equaliser, but Scott Kashket’s strike was adjudged to be offside by the linesman after the striker was first to react to the keeper dropping the ball following Josh Knight's volley. 

Gareth Ainsworth’s team news revealed a rotated side to face Coventry, with the reintroduction of players including Matt Bloomfield, Alex Pattison and Fred Onyedinma to the starting line-up.

The first chance of the game fell to Matt Bloomfield who took a volley on the edge of the box, but he struck it just wide as his attempt received a great reception.

Coventry made an early change taking off Jordan Shipley, who just made his 100th appearance, replacing him with Gustavo Hamer.

The away side would get the first of the afternoon through Sky Blues captain Liam Kelly. The midfielder had sent a warning shot a minute before, but this strike managed to beat Allsop from around 25-yards out.

Following the goal, Wycombe stepped up their pressure backed by the home support but were unable to make anything from the change in momentum.

This allowed Coventry to get their second after a collision between Tyler Walker and Jason McCarthy down Wycombe’s left-hand side, with the referee awarding the set-piece to Coventry.

Early substitute Gustavo Hamer took the free-kick, aiming for the back post where the ball was headed back towards goal and Liam Kelly was there to nod it in for his second of the afternoon to put the visitors two up.

Although Wycombe had fought hard, they went into the break down two goals down and Liam Kelly came off injured.

Following a slow first 45 minutes, Ainsworth made a triple change bringing on David Wheeler, Bayo Akinfenwa and Garath McCleary and with Wheeler’s first involvement he won a penalty.

Set-piece specialist Joe Jacobson stepped up to take it and sent the keeper the wrong way, halving the deficit.

Wycombe nearly levelled the game a few minutes later when Fred Onyedinma was put through one on one with the keeper, but he could only blaze his shot over the bar from close range.

Chairboys goalscorer Jacobson came close to notching his second after he took a corner that nearly went directly in, but there was a Coventry leg to stop it crossing the goal-line.

Into added time, Wycombe thought they had got a late equaliser, but the linesman ruled out Scott Kashket’s strike. Replays showed the striker to be almost level with Coventry’s last man.

The chance started with a venomous volley from Josh Knight from just outside the box, which meant that Wilson was unable to hold onto the ball. Kashket was first to react and slid the ball under the outstretched keeper, but the goal was ruled out.

Wycombe will look ahead to Bournemouth this coming Tuesday, before playing Gareth’s old side QPR on Saturday.

Advertisement block