Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Wycombe 1-0 Portsmouth

Akinfenwa's late penalty secures all three points in front of bumper crowd.

21 September 2019

Adebayo Akinfenwa converted a late penalty to continue Wanderers' fantastic start to the season, overcoming Portsmouth by one goal to nil at Adams Park.

After a quiet opening period, the game sprang to life when both Nnamdi Ofoborh and Pompey's Ellis Harrison were shown red cards in the second half, and it was Wanderers who came out on top following a handball in the box which culminated in Akinfenwa's successfully taken penalty.

Gareth Ainsworth recalled Joe Jacobson and Darius Charles into the defence, while Scott Kashket, Adebayo Akinfenwa and Fred Onyedinma were the preferred frontline with Matt Bloomfield, Nick Freeman and Dominic Gape manning the fort behind.

Ellis Harrison flashed an early chance wide before collecting his first yellow card for a foul on Akinfenwa, before Matt Bloomfield was withdrawn with a head injury as Nnamdi Ofoborh took his place.

Ronan Curtis then forced the first save of the game from Ryan Allsop after twisting his way into the box, but there was little to shout about before half-time, with Joe Jacobson also being withdrawn with a groin problem ahead of the interval as Jamie Mascoll took his place.

The game then burst into action 10 minutes into the second half when Ofoborh was shown a straight red card for a late tackle, but Akinfenwa, Christian Burgess and Harrison were all shown a yellow card for their part in the ensuing confrontation, with Harrison also receiving his marching orders following his earlier indiscretion.

With two fewer players on the pitch, the game became more open and a fast and furious passage of play ensued, with Allsop making a fine save to deflect a way a free-kick before Scott Kashket was denied by an excellent stop from Craig MacGillivray.

Alex Pattison replaced Fred Onyedinma, who had earlier picked up a knock, and the breakthrough came after MacGillivray had tipped away Mascoll's free-kick, but from the resulting corner, a Pompey defender's raised hand struck the ball and referee Seb Stockbridge pointed to the spot before Akinfenwa dispatched the spot-kick.

Brett Pitman hit the bar before seven cagey minutes of stoppage time came and went before Wanderers could celebrate a fifth home win in six matches in style.

Advertisement block