Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Rotherham 0-1 Wycombe

Chairboys go joint top of League One with victory in South Yorkshire

26 October 2019

Wycombe Wanderers secured their second win on the road this season with victory against in-form Rotherham United.

Scott Kashket netted the only goal of the tight match at the New York Stadium - which saw the Chairboys defend their lead for the majority of the game.

Gareth Ainsworth made three changes to the side who earned a draw against Blackpool on Tuesday evening - and looked to match Rotherham's counter-attacking style of play.

Skipper Matt Bloomfield returned to the starting line-up alongside Darius Charles, who have both been influential figures in the Chairboys side this season. Newcastle loanee Rolando Aarons impressed during his substitute appearance on the Fylde coast - and started with Kashket - fresh from his goal at Bloomfield Road.

The visitors started the encounter as the brighter of the two sides - and made an instant impact within the opening five minutes. A smart ball over the top from Anthony Stewart towards Kashket diswayed Millers keeper Daniel Iversen - and with the Danish-stopper several yards off his line, the Chairboys forward slotted his effort calmly into the back of the net from just outside the area.

Paul Warne's men were keen to strike back quickly - and were close to being gifted a perfect opportunity to do so. Chiedozie Ogbene darted into acres of space on the edge of the penalty area and with the goal in sight, Anthony Stewart pulled off a challenge to deny him. Despite calls from most of the home support wanting the Chairboys defender to walk, referee Neil Hair only awarded the yellow card.

Throughout the rest of the first half, Ainsworth's charges looked capable of doubling their advantage - and remained in control up until the break. Joe Jacobson bended his 25-yard free-kick wide of the mark from an awkward angle before Kashket was denied his second of the match after Iversen pulled off a remarkable save from close range.

As the match reached the hour mark, the Millers pressed on and looked the more likely to net a leveller. Matt Crooks had the ball swept away from his grasp with sight of goal and Michael Smith nodded his effort across goal, despite having time and space to aim for goal himself.

Despite clocking up ten corners, Warne's side failed to make their aerial presence count - and a cumulative effort from both Allsop and the Chairboys defence restricted the home side's opportunities as the game drew to it's conclusion.

With a second half of limted chances for both sides, the Chairboys looked like adding to their lead on few occasions. Ten minutes were left on the clock when Bloomfield forced Iversen into a superb reaction save to deny his half-volley in the area, and with Akinfenwa lurking, the ball was well cleared by Michael Ihiekwe.

Chairboys: Allsop, Grimmer, Stewart, Charles, Jacobson, Gape (Pattison 46), Bloomfield, Thompson, Wheeler, Aarons (Akinfenwa 77), Kashket (Ofoborh 84).

Unused subs: Yates, Phillips, Freeman, Parker.

Attendance: 8,337 (512 away)

Advertisement block