Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Blackpool 1-1 Wycombe

Scott Kashket scores in draw at Bloomfield Road.

22 October 2019

Blackpool and Wycombe played out a 1-1 draw in a sixth successive stalemate between the two sides at Bloomfield Road on Tuesday night.

Scott Kashket netted early on for the visitors but they were pegged back shortly after half-time when Ben Heneghan found the net with a precise header, and neither team was able to find a winner as Wanderers settled for a sixth game unbeaten in League 1.

Gareth Ainsworth made three changes from the side that started in Saturday’s fantastic 1-0 victory over Sunderland, bringing Giles Phillips, Curtis Thompson and Scott Kashket into the line-up as Darius Charles, Matt Bloomfield and Rolando Aarons made way.

The hosts began well, looking to remedy a frustrating run of just two league wins in 10, and it needed two brave blocks from the Wycombe backline to deny James Husband and Liam Feeney after the former broke into the box and cut back onto his right foot.

But Scott Kashket only needs one chance to score a goal, and the breakthrough arrived with Wycombe’s first opening on eight minutes. Ryan Allsop’s long free-kick was flicked on by Adebayo Akinfenwa and Kashket nipped in between the keeper and defender to deftly touch it home.

With their tails up, the visitors hunted for a second, and David Wheeler drilled low and hard from the edge of the box at the end of a quickfire counter-attack, before Husband came back for Blackpool, speeding past Jack Grimmer but seeing his shot deflect off Anthony Stewart and land kindly for Allsop.

Joe Jacobson curled a free-kick over the bar on 21 minutes, as Wycombe remained in control at both ends of the pitch, with the Tangerines fans beginning to voice their dissent. The home side survived a scramble from an inviting Jacobson corner, before Blackpool went close when Sullay Kaikai drove forward and unleashed a powerful low drive which fizzed just wide.

Nick Freeman then roamed towards goal, evading a challenge before shooting wide in the last real action of the half, as Wanderers headed down the tunnel with a one-goal lead.

However Blackpool should have been level a minute into the second period, when a corner was half-cleared and Liam Feeney’s cross was headed over from close range by Nathan Delfouneso.

The home side had their tails up, seeing Armand Gnanduillet’s shot blocked at source inside the box, and the equaliser came six minutes into the second half when a deep free-kick found centre-back Ben Heneghan unmarked and his well-placed header looped over Allsop and into the net – his second goal against the Blues in as many games.

Heneghan then had a bullet header disallowed for a push on Giles Phillips as Blackpool began to prove their worth from set pieces, but Wycombe steadied themselves and sustained a spell of pressure at the other end, with Heneghan going into the book for a trip on Freeman.

Husband followed him soon after for a foul on Grimmer, before Rolando Aarons entered the scene, taking the place of Kashket in attack.

Blackpool made their first change when Joe Nuttall replaced Delfouneso up top, and with set pieces increasingly looking like the most likely route to goal for either side, Anthony Stewart saw two low shots blocked in quick succession after Jacobson’s free-kick dropped at his feet.

Callum Guy and Sean Scannell took the places of Jordan Thompson and Liam Feeney in the Seasiders’ midfield, and Nnamdi Ofoborh came on for Curtis Thompson, before Akinfenwa had a sniff of a winner when Allsop’s long kick fell in his path, but a ricochet took it behind for a corner.

Joe Jacobson went into the book for illegally halting a Blackpool counter-attack, and Matt Bloomfield came on for Nick Freeman in the first of four added minutes, but there was no further drama, with Wycombe settling for a hard-earned point on the road.

Advertisement block