Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Chairgirls bow out of FA Cup

Chesham collect 3-0 win.

28 October 2019

PRiME Media Images
Chante Inniss

Wycombe Wanderers Ladies' fantastic FA Cup run came to an end at the hands of National League side and local rivals Chesham United.

The hosts are a division above the Chairgirls, who only stepped up to regional Premier Division status this season, and the difference in game management and taking chances was evident.

The opening minutes looked positive for the Chairgirls as a couple of longer passes into areas behind full-backs almost bore fruit with Chante Inniss getting in and firing a cross into the box which was narrowly missed by Tara Woodward.

However, in the fifth minute, Chesham broke at pace and a cross was drilled into the visitors penalty area and was too hot to handle for Amy Batkin, and Gemma Fraser was on hand to stroke home from six yards.

Chesham ramped up the pressure which saw the visitors' composure lapse briefly with a couple of breaks from wide areas causing the Wycombe defence some nervous moments. Thanks to the presence of Natalie Barette and Katie Hudson, any danger was averted.

Wycombe continued to press the ball aggressively but in a rare moment of lapse in concentration, Kat Bower found herself unchallenged and able to thread a pass through to a team-mate who found herself in an ocean of space with time to pick her spot and calmly slot home on 30 minutes.

Woodward, whose hold up play for the Chairgirls was excellent, carved out a chance when she struck from 25 yards with the keeper stranded but her shot ended up narrowly over the bar.

The second half saw the Chairgirls flying into some early challenges to try to unsettle their more senior opponents with skipper Charlotte Bagshaw setting the standard. The pressing of the Chairgirls was paying dividends as they secured possession in the Chesham half of the pitch but the final ball often lacked the quality required to create clear goal scoring opportunities.

Chesham revised their game strategy in the final half hour by opting to hit longer channel balls to put the Wycombe back line under more sustained pressure which was likely to create at least another chance for the rapid pace of Fraser. She got her second goal of the game on 85 minutes when a cross from the left found her at the near post for a finish inside the six- yard area.

The Chairgirls had many positives to take from the game including a debut for 16-year-old Emily Wheller who came in at left back on 70 minutes. Emily showed a composure beyond her years with several well timed interceptions and did not waste a pass. Two further teenagers entered the fray in the last 15 minutes in Finlay Lennard and Rachel Southby both acquitting themselves well.

This year's FA Cup run has seen the Chairgirls progress through to the fourth round qualifying, the furthest they have achieved in this national competition, and should hold their heads high. Next week sees a visit to Abingdon United in the SRWFL League Cup with the return of both Lindsay Pinker and Amy Leach to the squad who were cup tied for the FA Cup game. Get along and support your Chairgirls!

Advertisement block