Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Penalty pain for Chairgirls

Ladies lose out in League Cup.

4 November 2019

The Chairgirls were in League Cup action this weekend away to a strong Abingdon United team, ultimately losing out on penalties after a 1-1 draw.

The game started brightly for the Chairgirls with some early half chances being created from the hard work when pressing the ball in central areas and turning the Abingdon defence.

As the game wore on, both teams settled into a rhythm that saw the game being stretched end to end and it was anyone’s call as to which team might score first. Sarah Harrison latched onto a loose ball around 25 yards from goal and struck well only to see the ball cannon off the foot of the post, hit the Abingdon keeper and then cleared by a defender to safety.

Abingdon increased the tempo and forced a couple of corners which the Chairgirls defended well. The breakthrough came when a ball was played into Sam Jackson’s feet on the side of the Abingdon penalty area. Initially, the Abingdon defender looked to have stalled Jackson’s progress shepherding her away from goal and then needlessly conceded a free kick wide of the 18 yard area. Jackson stepped up and struck the free kick with venom and purpose along with swerve and dip past the despairing dive of the home keeper on 44 minutes.

Abingdon showed their quality immediately after when they attacked from the Chairgirls right with a shot coming off the frame of the goal and cleared to safety. That was the last action of an entertaining first 45 minutes.

The second half opened with Wycombe pressing hard and causing the Abingdon defence to panic for the first time in the game when Osborne-Ricketts mis-hit a clearance which was scrambled clear under pressure from Jackson. Wycombe undid their good work when a short pass left Emma Dean exposed and from the resulting cross the Abingdon striker finished smartly at the near post.

The Chairgirls regained their composure and we saw a return to the ebb and flow of the first half with both teams trying to work an opening for a winner. Both keepers were called into action with Amy Batkin in the Wycombe goal the slightly more busy.

The game ended 1-1 at 90 minutes and was settled by penalties. Batkin saved the first Abingdon penalty excellently and Wycombe took the lead when Lindsay Pinker stepped up to finish smartly. Sam Jackson successfully converted the next Wycombe penalty to make it 2-1. Abingdon converted their third penalty to draw level with all eyes now on Sarah Harrison. She opted to go down the middle only to see the Abingdon keeper save her effort. Abingdon then took the lead leaving Wycombe playing catch up. Tara Woodward was next up but saw her effort saved too. Abingdon scored from their fifth penalty to claim the victory 4-2 on penalties.

There were many positives for the Chairgirls to take from this game having displayed some excellent attacking play as well as being really effective in pressurising their opponents and making life difficult for what is a very capable Abingdon United team. Another positive saw the introduction of the promising Amy Leach from the bench at right back after having recently signed from Abingdon Town.

The Chairgirls next fixture is in the Berks and Bucks Senior Cup in two weeks' time away to the same opponents with a 2pm kick-off in what should be another very entertaining game for the neutral.

Advertisement block