Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Ipswich 0-0 Wycombe

All square at Portman Road.

26 November 2019

Wanderers maintained their five-point lead at the top of League 1 with a well-deserved draw at Ipswich Town on Tuesday evening.

Home keeper Tomas Holy saved a late penalty from Joe Jacobson to preserve a point for the hosts, having earlier kept out Adebayo Akinfenwa's effort to keep his side in the game.

Ipswich were angered by a disallowed goal in the first half, with Kayden Jackson adjudged offside after Luke Chambers' header made its way to the back of the net, leaving Town winless in three in the league while Wycombe complete an unbeaten month without conceding.

Gareth Ainsworth made two changes to the side that started in Saturday’s 1-0 triumph over Doncaster, bringing Dominic Gape and Adebayo Akinfenwa back into the line-up as Nnamdi Ofoborh and Alex Samuel dropped to the bench.

More significantly, Matt Bloomfield led the visitors out as Wycombe captain at the ground he grew up visiting as a young Ipswich fan, developing through the Suffolk club’s youth system and making one senior appearance before making his way to Bucks 16 years ago.

Paul Smyth had the game’s first sight of goal, sending a first-time snapshot wide of the near post after Curtis Thompson found Gape in space on the left.

But Ipswich came into the game strongly, and should have opened the scoring on 14 minutes, only for James Norwood to miss an incredible chance from close range. Kayden Jackson did excellently to start the move and then deliver a peach of a cross from the right, but as Norwood dived in to meet it, he could only glance his header wide of the far post when it looked easier to score.

Paul Smyth then had a strong dart towards goal which resulted in him closing down Tomas Holy’s clearance, only to be denied a chance by the referee’s decision to punish him for a handball, before Joe Jacobson tested the keeper’s handling with a low effort from distance which skidded off the wet surface and into his gloves.

The hosts looked a threat though with the quick long ball for Jackson, as he drifted across the frontline from left to right, evading markers and finding pockets of space in which to operate.

Then came a moment for the Beast, as Adebayo Akinfenwa outmuscled Luke Chambers to tee himself for a first-time chance which was blocked by the legs of Holy.

Luke Garbutt hammered a free-kick into the wall from 30 yards, before he and Jon Nolan were booked for two fouls in quick succession, and Jacobson then curled a free-kick wide of the near post after a rarely-spotted foul on Akinfenwa.

But it was Garbutt’s set-pieces which looked most likely to unlock the Wycombe door, and another inviting corner led to Chambers glancing a header inches past the far post.

Then came a flash point, as Ipswich thought they had the lead, only for the referee to make a very late decision to disallow Chambers’ header for an offside decision against Kayden Jackson, leading to James Norwood seeing a yellow card for dissent.

Paul Smyth then saw yellow for kicking the ball away, before Janoi Donacien became the fourth Ipswich name in the referee’s notebook for a foul shortly before the half-time whistle.

With no changes at the break, the start of the second period was relatively settled, but gathered pace after Norwood’s header was hooked away by Charles en route to goal.

Matt Bloomfield placed a difficult chance over the bar before Anthony Stewart was booked for a foul, and then Gareth Ainsworth introduced Scott Kashket into his frontline as Paul Smyth made way.

Adebayo Akinfenwa drilled over on the turn but generally couldn’t catch a break against the referee, who punished him for virtually every aerial duel, before Bloomfield was withdrawn on 72 minutes with Nick Freeman taking his place.

Ryan Allsop saw yellow for time-wasting , and then Luke Woolfenden was also booked – again for dissent – before Ipswich made two changes, introducing Gwion Edwards and Danny Rowe for James Wilson and Emyr Huws, before Curtis Thompson joined a long list of names in the book.

David Wheeler saw a powerful shot blocked from the edge of the box, but he was then involved in a huge talking point in the game as he was tripped in the box to give Alan Young no choice but to point to the spot. Nick Freeman was fouled in the build-up but the referee’s advantage allowed Wheeler to nip in and beat his man to the ball.

However, Jacobson’s penalty was expertly saved by Tomas Holy with a giant hand away to his right, and Ipswich had renewed hope of going on to find a winner as Will Keane came on for James Norwood.

Keane flashed a volley over the bar from outside the box, before Kashket was booked for a trip as he rushed back to defend against Gwion Edwards’ dart down the right, but Woolfenden headed the free-kick over.

Akinfenwa was booked for persistent fouling – as the game entered a tense six minutes of stoppage time, in which Kashket drilled wide, and then Dominic Gape made a brave block to keep out Gwion Edwards’ last-ditch effort.

Wycombe now enter a period of two-and-a-half weeks without a game, having not conceded a goal since October 22nd, sitting five points clear at the top of the table.

Ipswich: Holy, Chambers, Wilson (Edwards 82), Woolfenden, Donacien, Garbutt, Skuse, Nolan, Huws (Rowe 82), Jackson, Norwood (Keane 88).

Unused subs: Norris, Judge, Nsiala, Dozzell.

Wycombe: Allsop, Grimmer, Jacobson, Stewart, Charles, Gape, Thompson, Bloomfield Freeman 72), Wheeler, Smyth (Kashket 62), Akinfenwa.

Unused subs: Yates, Phillips, Samuel, Aarons, Ofoborh.

Advertisement block