Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Wycombe 1-0 Fleetwood

Wanderers sign off with a win.

4 May 2019

Joe Jacobson scored directly from a corner as Wycombe rounded off their five-year plan in style with a 1-0 win over Fleetwood Town to ensure their status as a League One club just five years after nearly falling out of the EFL.

Goalkeeper Ryan Allsop pulled off some great first-half saves to deny Ashley Nadesan and Ashley Hunter giving the visitors the lead inside the opening 20 minutes.

Scott Kashket headed just over before Jason McCarthy crashed a free-kick against the foot of the post for Wanderers towards the end of the half.

Minutes after the break, Jacobson arrowed a fierce volley goalwards direct from a McCarthy corner that forced a fine save from Fleetwood’s Alex Cairns before Paddy Madden missed a host of dangerous chances for the visitors.

With 15 minutes left of the season Jacobson provided the breakthrough as his in-swinging corner eluded the Fleetwood defence and nestled into the back of the net to ensure the Chairboys ended a challenging season on a high.

Gareth Ainsworth made three changes to his side as Anthony Stewart, Curtis Thompson and Nick Freeman were replaced by Jacobson, Marcus Bean and Matt Bloomfield.

The Chairboys were heading into the game all but safe as they could still mathematically get relegated sitting just three points above the drop but with a far superior goal difference to those below.

In the opening stages they looked like a side who could play with freedom as Adebayo Akinfenwa chested down in the area but was tackled just before he was about to pull the trigger before Kashket got in-behind but his lobbed effort proved too high and was cleared.

The visitors' first chance came via a short corner as Hunter played the ball to Lewie Coyle who fired over from 12 yards.

Joey Barton’s side then came even closer just two minutes later when Bean’s back-pass was intercepted, and Nadesan found himself one-on-one with Allsop but the Wycombe shot-stopper was able to get down low to save his effort.

Allsop soon produced a fine save once more as the Chairboys failed to clear before Hunter curled a right-footed effort towards the top corner but for a strong Allsop hand to tip over.

The Cod Army were getting chances but Wycombe looked comfortable and were unlucky not to take the lead themselves.

Kashket saw a header fire over under pressure before Jason McCarthy rifled a superb free-kick from 25 yards into the foot of the post as a first-half full of chances ended goalless.

As McCarthy saw a speculative effort fire just the wrong side of the post, it was his fellow set-piece specialist Jacobson who almost interrupted the club’s goal of the season vote minutes after the interval.

McCarthy’s corner from the right swung out towards the left-back who sized up the flight of the ball and arrowed a fearsome volley goalwards but Cairns in the Fleetwood goal was able to pull off a superb save.

It was another great start to the half from the home side but Fleetwood looked dangerous in spells yet again.

Nadesan got the better of McCarthy down the left and pulled the ball back for Madden who aimed over before the Fleetwood number 17 saw an effort toe-poked just wide of Allsop’s far-post moments later.

With 15 minutes to go, Ainsworth’s men finally broke the deadlock. Jacobson’s corner from the right was whipped into a dangerous area towards a number of bodies and the ball found itself nestle into the back of the net with no other Wycombe player claiming the touch to score his seventh goal of the season.

Wanderers were looking to end a rollercoaster season on a high but still had work to do as Allsop reacted brilliantly once more to deny a Madden header five minutes from time.

That was to prove the final chance of the game as Wycombe held out for a win to end not only the season, but a remarkable five-year plan on a high. Despite all the odds stacked against them at the beginning of the season, Ainsworth’s men proved they could hold their own in League One having nearly fallen out of the EFL just five years ago.

Advertisement block