Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Wycombe 1-3 Accrington

Blues fall to defeat against Stanley.

12 March 2019

Wycombe Wanderers’ search for a league win continued as a pair of Billy Kee penalties either side of the half, and a fine Paul Smyth strike saw Accrington Stanley claim the points on a chilly Tuesday evening in Buckinghamshire.

The chances came thick and fast from the initial whistle with the Blues coming close on a number of occasions early on thanks to efforts from Adebayo Akinfenwa, Paris Cowan-Hall and Alex Samuel. Stanley meanwhile found opportunities of their own as Jordan Clark’s header from a low cross rattled the frame of Ryan Allsop’s goal.

Both sides traded a succession of decent opportunities with Cowan-Hall and Stanley’s Dan Barlaser testing the shot-stopping abilities of each ‘keeper with long-range efforts.

After 23 minutes the Chairboys drew first blood; the lively Cowan-Hall curling the ball into the bottom right corner of Stanley’s goal after Matt “501” Bloomfield pressured Callum Johnson into a poor backwards header.

Wycombe could have had a second just a couple of minutes later when Akinfenwa chested a lobbed pass onto his goal-trained boot – this time unfortunately, the effort didn’t ripple the back of the net.

Things took a turn for the odd on the half hour mark when one of the assistant referees was forced to withdraw after doubling over on the touchline. The near six minute break in play appeared to have a detrimental effect on the Blues who struggled to continue their fine play before the incident.

Stanley, cheered on by their dedicated contingent of supporters, took advantage of the apparent momentum shift, and found themselves rewarded with a penalty deep into first half injury time after Allsop felled Paul Smyth. Veteran sharpshooter Billy Kee made no mistake from six yards, his hard left hand drive beating a correctly diving “Rocky”.

Spurred on by their late first half leveller the visitors started the second half brightly with captain Sean McConville spearheading a number of dangerous opportunities early on. Despite this it was actually the Blues who crafted the best chance at that point; a Nick Freeman cross finding Cowan-Hall whose shot required a goal line clearance.

Just before the hour mark Wanderers were forced into making their first substitution with Bloomfield forced off the pitch with a knock. His replacement, Scott Kaskett caused Wanderers to adopt a more aggressive approach up front.

The gambit didn’t pay off however, and Blues soon made things even harder for themselves when Curtis Thompson brought down Smyth for Accrington’s second penalty. Stepping up once again, Billy Kee lashed a fierce shot into the right-hand corner to complete the visitor’s turnaround.

Already enjoying a fine game, Smyth added to Wycombe’s woes with a fine low strike which left Allsop with little chance. It was nothing less than deserved for an impressive Accrington side.

The eternal battlers Wanderers sought to find a way back into the game, but for all their efforts they were unable to string together the right pass combinations to cause any real trouble to Stanley’s Jonny Maxted.

3-1 the final score as Accrington Stanley make the long trip back up north, full of complimentary hot dogs and with a precious 3 points in the bag. Wycombe on the other hand will have to pick themselves up in time for Saturday’s important trip to Shrewsbury Town.

Attendance: 3,819 (84 Accrington)

50/50 Draw:
£1 Draw (£361) - 39715
£2 Draw (£85) - 30808

Advertisement block