Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Blackpool 2-2 Wycombe

Read the report from Bloomfield Road.

29 January 2019

Wycombe were made to settle for a point at Bloomfield Road as Blackpool twice came from behind to claim a 2-2 draw.

A first-half header from Adebayo Akinfenwa was cancelled out early after the break by Ben Heneghan, only for Wanderers to restore their lead on 53 minutes courtesy of a Joe Jacobson corner which appeared to sneak all the way in.

Seven minutes to go and Blackpool claimed a point from the penalty spot following a foul on substitute Nya Kirby. Harry Pritchard made no mistake and ensured the Seasiders took a share of the spoils.

The game was originally in doubt earlier in the day due to heavy rainfall, and the surface needed two pitch inspections before referee Martin Coy deemed it playable at 5:30pm.

Gareth Ainsworth made just the one change from the side that defeated Plymouth Argyle at the weekend, with Alex Samuel coming in for Matt Bloomfield.

Blackpool were forced into an early change as Jay Spearing went down from a challenge with five minutes played, he was replaced by former Maidenhead United midfielder, Pritchard.

From the Chairboys’ first corner, they had the lead and it was that familiar partnership of Jacobson and Akinfenwa who combined to give Wanderers the advantage on 11 minutes. JJ’s corner from the left was met by the head of the Beast six-yards out, giving keeper Christoffer Mafoumbi no chance.

Blackpool looked for a quick response. Nathan Delfouneso received the ball on the penalty spot with his back to goal; he turned his marker but planted it wide.

It was almost two from yet another corner on 17 minutes after Akinfenwa won the set-piece with a shot from a tight angle. JJ's delivery was again spot on, this time nearly going straight in but Mafoumbi just about managed to palm it away.

The Seasiders biggest threat was coming from crosses in from the right. Delfouneso whipping one in on 28 minutes gone, Allsop got a hand to it but could only divert the ball into the path of Liam Feeney who headed over where he should have perhaps done better.

Just under 10 minutes to go before the interval and a miscommunication between Curtis Tilt and his goalkeeper almost presented Samuel with a simple tap-in. The defender’s header back to Mafoumbi was too heavy and the ball was loose, it didn’t drop kindly enough for Samuel to get a shot off, so he teed up Nick Freeman whose shot was then blocked by the then recovered Pool backline.

42 minutes gone and poor defending allowed Paris Cowan-Hall a run at goal; he squared it to Akinfenwa, who then found Freeman 20 yards out and this time the forward saw his shot saved.

The final chance of the half went to Blackpool and Delfouneso as the former Aston Villa man cut in from the right and curled one wide of the far corner.

Half-time: Blackpool 0-1 Wycombe

Blackpool came out the traps quickest after the restart and they were level within five minutes from a corner. With a crowd of bodies in the six-yard box, Heneghan rose highest to head the home side level.

It was not level for long however, as Wycombe retook the lead on 53 minutes, yet again from a corner. Jacobson again caused havoc with the delivery and it appeared to go all the way in, although Jason McCarthy looked to have been claiming to have got a touch on the way through.

Blackpool made their second sub, and it was an attacking change as Liam Feeney was replaced by Newcastle United loanee, Elias Sørensen with 58 minutes played.

Jacobson went into Coy’s notebook on 65 minutes after a mistimed challenge on Delfouneso 20-yards out on the left, luckily Jordan Thompson could only find the wall with the resulting free-kick.

Blackpool again would have a chance to level from a dangerous free-kick on the edge of the box, this time more central. Armand Gnanduillet took charge this time, but fired over the bar. Allsop would then see yellow for the amount of time he took to take the resulting goal-kick.

The Chairboys added some fresh legs up top, with Nathan Tyson on for Freeman on 76 minutes. Blackpool too made their final change, with Kirby replacing Thompson.

Cowan-Hall was brought down outside the area in Jacobson territory. The full-back whipped the ball up and over the wall and just past the post on 77’.

82 minutes gone and Blackpool were presented the chance to equalise from the penalty spot as a tiring Cowan-Hall brought down Kirby on the byline. Pritchard was the man to take the spot-kick and he lashed it in off the bar.

Cowan-Hall looked to redeem himself on 88 minutes as Gape found him in space on the edge, he laced a low right-footed drive towards the far corner but he couldn’t find the target.

Up the other end and a low ball from Delfouneso was prodded goalwards by Gnanduillet which Allsop got down well to stop.

In the first of five added on minutes, Ainsworth threw on Matt Bloomfield and Luke Bolton on in place of Akinfenwa and Cowan-Hall as Wanderers looked for a late winner.

Level was how it would finish though in an entertaining affair at Bloomfield Road. The result stretched both sides’ unbeaten run to four games ahead of Wanderers welcoming Bradford City to Adams Park this weekend.

Attendance: 2,388 (145 Wycombe)

Advertisement block