Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Wycombe 3-2 Doncaster

Wanderers recover from two goals down to secure phenomenal comeback victory.

12 January 2019

Wycombe ended a run of four straight defeats in style, overcoming a two-goal deficit to beat Doncaster 3-2 with Paris Cowan-Hall grabbing the winner deep in stoppage time.

After a goalless first half, Rovers took control with goals from John Marquis and Tommy Rowe, but were set to endure a nervy ending when Paris Cowan-Hall struck home to make it 2-1 with 13 minutes of normal time remaining.

Man-of-the-match Curtis Thompson crashed the equaliser into the bottom corner as the clock struck 90 but there was still time for Cowan-Hall to make himself the hero, netting the winner which lifted the feelgood factor around Adams Park following a difficult run of resultGareth Ainsworth made four changes from the side that lost 2-0 to Coventry on New Year’s Day, giving Matt Bloomfield a first appearance in three months following the midfielder’s recovery from injury, while Joe Jacobson, Adam El-Abd and Paris Cowan-Hall all returned to the starting line-up.

Doncaster meanwhile made just one change from the XI that defeated Championship side Preston in the FA Cup, swapping out Alfie May and bringing in James Coppinger.

Wanderers began brightly, looking refreshed from their 11-day break and posing problems for the visiting backline, with Bloomfield linking up well with Nathan Tyson in attack, well supported by Nick Freeman and Paris Cowan-Hall on the flanks.

Dominic Gape had a shot deflected over following a short corner, and then Paris Cowan-Hall’s sidefooted cross-shot needed a smart save from Ian Lawlor to tip it to safety on 15 minutes.

But from the resulting corner, Rovers broke at pace after capitalising on a slip and Matty Blair raced away one-on-one with Ryan Allsop, only to have the ball nicked off his toes by Gape after a lung-busting run to get back and cover.

Top scorer John Marquis was cutting a frustrated figure as he lacked service into him, lashing harmlessly wide from 25 yards with a rare sight of goal, before Adam El-Abd headed wide from a deep Bloomfield corner just past the half-hour mark.

Gape volleyed over with a left-footed volley at the end of a flowing move with the last chance of the half, which had no stoppage time added as both sides went down the tunnel content with a clean sheet and a solid showing.

Curtis Thompson leathered one narrowly over the bar before Ryan Allsop did enough to put Mallik Wilks off his shot as the ball broke loose in the Wycombe area, with the Leeds loanee eventually firing into the side-netting, and then James Coppinger lashed over from 20 yards.

Rovers’ pressure began to intensify and Wilks spurned another great chance when Marquis robbed Adam El-Abd and galloped goalwards, ultimately squaring to Wilks who was unable to make a clean connection and saw his shot bounce past the far post.

Danny Andrew got away down the left and saw his dangerous low cross bounce to safety – just about – as Joe Jacobson and Allsop combined to keep it out – but the breakthrough was made just before the hour-mark from that man Marquis who was never going to miss when presented with a chance eight yards out. El-Abd’s clearance was straight at Ali Crawford, who quickly curled a ball into the danger zone where Marquis was unmarked and able to poke home past Allsop.

Nick Freeman fired over before Rovers made a change, introducing Tommy Rowe for Ali Crawford, and the new arrival made an almost immediate impact, doubling the lead when Marquis kept a deep cross alive and pulled it back for Rowe to drill home unchallenged for 2-0.

Wycombe responded with a double substitution as Adebayo Akinfenwa and Scott Kashket replaced Tyson and Bloomfield, and both played their part in keeping the ball alive before Paris Cowan-Hall pulled Wanderers back into contention with a sweet strike on 77 minutes, rifling into the far corner to give Ian Lawlor no chance.

Dominic Gape and Marquis were booked on 80 minutes – the former for a foul, the latter for his reaction – before Rovers brought on Alfie May for Coppinger.

May saw a shot blocked before the Blues dug deep to impose themselves on the visitors, applying late pressure around the box without finding the crucial final touch.

So Curtis Thompson took matters into his own hands by ending his wait for a Wycombe goal in style, delivering a rocket through a crowd of players into the bottom corner from 20 yards, sparking superb scenes of celebration at the start of six minutes’ stoppage time.

Wanderers might have taken a point… but why settle with momentum behind you? Joe Jacobson’s  deep free-kick tempted Lawlor to leave his line but he couldn’t reach the ball, leaving an empty net for Cowan-Hall to loop a header over the crowd of bodies into the net and cap a phenomenal comeback – the second of its kind for the Chairboys this season – to see them return to winning ways.

50/50 Draw Results

Blue £1: 20803 (£622.50)
Orange £2: 28350 (£100.00)

Advertisement block