Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Wycombe 0-0 Bradford

Read the report from the draw with the Bantams at Adams Park.

2 February 2019

Wycombe Wanderers remain unbeaten in their last five matches after a frustrating 0-0 draw with relegation strugglers Bradford City on Saturday.

The visitors had the best chance of what was a fairly chanceless first half when Eoin Doyle strike was cleared off the line by Curtis Thompson.

Substitute Scott Kashket was able to curl a teasing effort on target early on in the second half, only for it to be saved by keeper Richard O’Donnell.

Paris Cowan-Hall nearly broke the deadlock just seconds after coming on as a substitute when his low-driven strike was cleared by Bantams captain Anthony O’Connor.

Substitute Marcus Bean had a great opportunity to score in stoppage time; however he could only scuff his shot inside the penalty area.

Both Wycombe and Bradford were unable to test either keeper enough throughout the game, which saw both sides having to settle for a goalless draw.

On what was a bitterly cold afternoon at Adams Park, Gareth Ainsworth made three changes from the side that drew 2-2 away at Blackpool in midweek, with Matt Bloomfield and Nathan Tyson coming into the side along with Luke Bolton, who made his first start for the Chairboys following his loan arrival from Manchester City earlier this month.

It was a cagey affair in the first half with neither side able to get going and create many clear-cut chances. However, Wycombe did start the brighter of the two sides in the opening 10 minutes.

Sido Jombati’s tackle inside the centre circle saw the defender drive towards the Bradford goal as the Chairboys broke on the counter-attack. The resulting chance saw Jason McCarthy fizz a low delivery across the penalty box which skimmed beyond the Wycombe attackers inside the area. 

The first real chance of the match fell to Nathan Tyson 15 minutes in when the striker saw his header go narrowly wide of the near post, following a Joe Jacobson’s set-piece from the middle of the pitch.  

The visitors then had a great opportunity to take the lead; however Eoin Doyle’s powerful strike from inside the six-yard area was brilliantly cleared off the line by Curtis Thompson who threw his body behind the ball. 

Bradford managed to gain a foothold in the game as they created a few chances for themselves, with both David Ball and Eoin Doyle at the forefront of their efforts on goal. David Ball saw a free-kick from the edge of the area blaze over the crossbar and then his shot from a tight angle inside the box was comfortably saved by Ryan Allsop at the near post.

The Chairboys were forced into an early change just after the half hour mark when Scott Kashket replaced Alex Samuel who went down injured after several knocks to the ribs throughout the first half.

The latter stages of the first half saw little goalmouth action, however the Bantams had a great chance to take the lead right on the stroke of half time when Doyle’s bullet header inside the penalty box fell to Nathaniel Knight-Percival who flicked his effort inches wide of the post.

The second half began will neither side testing either keeper in between the sticks, however the Bradford backline would have been worried when they saw Scott Kashket running at pace towards their goal 10 minutes into the second half. The substitute managed to cut inside and curl an effort on target from the edge of the box which was well saved by keeper Richard O’Donnell.

The Bantams then realised they needed to step up their game if they wanted a positive result from the match.  

Ryan Allsop had to punch clear after Bradford’s Jack Payne whipped in a dangerous corner that curled towards goal.

Paul Caddis’ delivery into the box was deflected towards goal by Jacobson shortly after; with the ball bouncing narrowly wide for a Bradford corner.  

After replacing Luke Bolton in the 70th minute, substitute Paris Cowan-Hall nearly had an instant impact for the Chairboys just seconds after entering the field of play when his low-driven right-footed strike from a tight angle was cleared away from danger by Bantams captain Anthony O’Connor, following a great surging run down the right by Jason McCarthy.

Bradford began to pile the pressure on the Wycombe backline in the final 15 minutes when Connor Wood’s low cross flew past everyone and out for a goal kick. A header from Knight-Percival inside the area then had to be cleared away from danger when it glided towards goal.

With less than 10 minutes remaining, the Chairboys’ crowd behind the goal roared for handball as Cowan-Hall attempted to wriggle past Caddis who seemed to handle the ball inside the area when he stumbled to the ground.

A goalmouth scramble followed shortly inside the Bantams box which was eventually cleared to safety.

There was one last chance for the Chairboys in stoppage time when McCarthy did brilliantly to beat his man on the right where he drove towards the by-line and cut the ball back towards substitute Marcus Bean who scuffed his shot. Scott Kashket then curled his effort wide with the follow-up shot.

Both sides didn’t quite have enough to snatch a goal and take all three points, seeing the spoils shared at Adams Park.

Attendance: 4,586 (501 Bradford)

50/50 Result: £1 Draw (£571.50) - 22822 £2 Draw (£115)- 29610

Advertisement block