Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Luton 3-0 Wycombe

Blues fall to defeat to league leaders.

9 February 2019

Wycombe were unable to make it six consecutive games unbeaten as they fell to a 3-0 defeat at first placed Luton Town on Saturday.

The hosts looked sharp throughout the first-half and took the lead just after the half-hour mark through James Collins’ header.

The Chairboys looked a much better outfit in the second period and looked to push for an equaliser but a brace from George Moncur in the final five minutes put the game beyond Gareth Ainsworth’s side despite their best efforts.

Wycombe made two changes to the side that drew 0-0 with Bradford last weekend with Adebayo Akinfenwa and Paris Cowan-Hall coming in for Luke Bolton and the injured Alex Samuel.

Luton made just one change after their 3-0 victory away at Shrewsbury last Saturday with Collins replacing Kazenga LuaLua up front.

Despite losing 2-0 to the Hatters in the FA Cup earlier in the season, Wycombe were coming into the game having won four of their last five football league visits at Kenilworth Road and looked dangerous on the counter-attack in the opening minutes with Akinfenwa and Cowan-Hall looking to make an impact.

From that point onwards however, the League One table-toppers began to insert a foothold in the game.

Goalkeeper, Ryan Allsop came out to collect a central ball played over the top but fumbled under the pressure of Danny Hylton. The ball dropped for Luke Berry but a heroic block from Sido Jombati ensured the tie remained goalless after ten minutes.

Minutes later the home side threatened again as Andrew Shinnie played the ball out wide for Jack Stacey whose low cross fizzled across towards the far-post, but James McCarthy was able to clear just ahead of Berry.

From the resulting corner, the ball fell deep for Sonny Bradley at the back-post and he had the time to chest the ball down and get a shot away but it was blocked on the line by a number of bodies before the Chairboys were eventually able to clear.

Luton were then denied once more as Shinnie played through Hylton whose positioning raised questions of offside but the flag stayed down and Allsop saved his low attempt brilliantly one-on-one.

Ten minutes later though, the Hatters found an opener. Hylton’s diagonal pass found Stacey and the full-back’s cross from the right aimed towards the near-post where Collins was able to nod home just ahead of Allsop.

It was a deserved lead for the home side, but Gareth Ainsworth’s men were still in the tie and came out stronger after the interval.

Akinfenwa was beginning to win a number of knock-downs in the attacking third but a Blues shirt just couldn’t quite latch onto the ball.

The hosts nearly doubled their advantage when Hylton shifted the ball onto his left outside the box before curling the ball just over the bar but from then on, Wanderers began to look the more dangerous of the two sides.

Scott Kaskhet saw a mazy dribble end in an effort over the bar with Akinfenwa unlucky to be tackled just before pulling the trigger inside the area moments later.

Wycombe were unfortunate not to be rewarded with an equaliser and five minutes from time it was game over as Luton grabbed a second.

Jason Cummings skipped past two challenges on the edge of the area before seeing an effort saved by Allsop but George Moncur was there to tap home the rebound.

The second looked to take the stuffing out of the Chairboys and minutes later, they conceded a third as Moncur scored his second to ensure the hosts took all three points.

It was a strong effort from Ainsworth’s side who put on a much better show in the second half. The result sees them drop one place to 10th ahead of a trip to promotion pushing Barnsley next weekend.  

Attendance: 10,072 – 751 Wycombe

Advertisement block