Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Wycombe 1-4 Coventry

Matt Godden hits hat-trick for visitors.

29 December 2019

Wanderers ended 2019 on a disappointing note, going down 4-1 at home to Coventry City as Matt Godden ran riot with a hat-trick to fire the Sky Blues to victory.

City didn’t play on Boxing Day and looked refreshed from the word go, scoring inside three minutes through Sam McCallum, and although Adebayo Akinfenwa levelled the scores on the quarter of an hour mark, Coventry regained the lead almost straightaway through Matt Godden’s penalty.

Godden stretched the lead with his second of the game just before half-time, and wrapped up his hat-trick with a crisp low strike following an expert lay-off from Jordan Shipley, earning City a first away win and condemning Wycombe to a first home loss.

Wanderers suffered the worst possible start when the visitors opened the scoring with less than three minutes on the clock. Nnamdi Ofoborh’s attempted pass to Matt Bloomfield outside the Wycombe area was cut out and quickly switched to the left, where reported Liverpool target Sam McCallum cut onto his right and bent an unstoppable effort past Ryan Allsop into the top corner.

But Gareth Ainsworth’s men kept their cool, and deserved their equaliser on 15 minutes. Times of relative adversity call for experienced heads, and it was Adebayo Akinfenwa who stayed calm when collecting Sido Jombati’s flick-on to stroke it past the onrushing Marko Marosi.

The relief lasted no more than 60 seconds. Jombati then undersold Ryan Allsop with a poor backpass and tugged back Matt Godden as he chased it down, prompting referee Kevin Johnson to point to the spot and allowing Godden to roll it home from 12 yards. Jombati was booked for the foul.

Joe Jacobson then followed him into the notebook for a late foul on Godden, before Allsop did well to narrow the angle for Jordan Shipley as he bore down on goal, ultimately taking the ball too wide to find the target.

Wycombe enjoyed the better of the rest of the half, looking inventive from set pieces, but unable to test Marosi, with Ofoborh shooting wide at the end of a good move.

And it came as a hammer blow when Godden added his second of the game just before the clock struck 45. He stayed onside to collect a through ball from the right, and touched it round Allsop before drilling home into the empty net.

Scott Kashket went close with an instinctive snapshot from David Wheeler’s cross, which was well beaten away by Marosi, but there were no further chances before the interval, leaving Wanderers with an uphill struggle in the second period.

That challenge became insurmountable following Godden’s hat-trick clincher – a stunning goal unlikely to be bettered at Adams Park this season. The long direct ball to Jordan Shipley had worked well for City all game, but on this occasion he laid an immaculate deft touch into the path of Godden, whose first-time left-footed strike was destined for the bottom corner, and found it.

Kashket fired into the side netting from a tight angle, before Nick Freeman took the place of Curtis Thompson in midfield on the hour-mark, and Anthony Stewart lashed a dangerous low cross-shot across the face of goal which no team-mate could convert.

Paul Smyth entered the fray on 66 minutes, replacing Kashket, and instantly injected life into the Wycombe attack, while David Wheeler was booked for dissent as the game ebbed away, before he was subbed off for Josh Parker.

With no further action, referee Johnson called time on the game and the decade at Adams Park, leaving the Blues to look forward to the visit of Ipswich Town on New Year’s Day.

Advertisement block