Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Wycombe 1-1 Luton

Read the report from the draw at Adams Park.

1 September 2018

Wycombe and Luton played out a pulsating 1-1 draw at Adams Park in a real end-to-end affair in Sky Bet League One.

Joe Jacobson gave Wanderers the lead from the penalty spot in the first half, before missing another spot-kick early on after the restart, which galvanised the Hatters and they went home with a share of the spoils thanks to a Matty Pearson header.

Gareth Ainsworth made just the one change from the Chairboys’ last league outing; as Adebayo Akinfenwa came in for Michael Harriman which saw Craig Mackail-Smith move out to the right with the Beast leading the attacking line.

The first chance of the game went to Wycombe as Luton failed to clear a ball into the box, dropping at the feet of Anthony Stewart and shot into the side-netting with three minutes played.

Sonny Bradley received an early yellow card after fouling Craig Mackail-Smith on halfway, and ten minutes later he was perhaps lucky to stay on the field after bringing Matt Bloomfield down in the penalty area, forcing referee Darren England to point to the spot.

Jacobson was the man to take responsibility from 12 yards and he made no mistake; keeper James Shea guessing right down to his left but unable to keep Wycombe and JJ from taking the lead.

After losing late on after failing to double their lead the last time these two sides met at Adams Park, Wycombe quickly went in search of a second. Jacobson's cross was flicked on by Mackail-Smith into Bayo's path, but his touch was too heavy and Shea collected on 22’.

Bryn Morris was next to go into England’s book after bringing down Pelly Ruddock as Luton looked to counter following Wycombe’s sustained pressure around the Hatters’ penalty area.

Good hold up play from Akinfenwa saw him chest the ball down to Randell Williams on the edge on 36 minutes. The loanee let fly with a 25-yard half-volley which Shea got down well to stop.

Then one minute later, a golden chance went begging for Wanderers as they broke two-on-one after Akinfenwa won back possession in the middle of the park. The Beast played in Mackail-Smith who was in support, but CMS couldn’t get the ball out of his feet on his approach to the Luton box and Dan Potts got back to clear the danger.

Half-time: Wycombe 1-0 Luton

Wanderers received an injury blow early on after the restart as Bloomfield was unable to continue after suffering a head injury in the first half. The midfielder was replaced by Curtis Thompson on 48 minutes.

Mackail-Smith was working hard to force an opening down the right for Wanderers. He manged to get a yard and cross for Williams who headed towards the top left corner but Shea comfortably stopped on 49’.

Wycombe then were given a chance to double their lead on 58 minutes as England awarded the Chairboys’ second penalty of the game, this time for a handball against Hatters’ skipper Glen Rea who was booked for the incident.

After a long wait to take the spot-kick, Jacobson was this time denied by Shea, going the same way but this time the shot-stopper managed to spring across to palm the ball away to his left.

That shifted the momentum in Luton’s favour as their players and travelling support were given a much needed lift. Although Akinfenwa did go close up the other end as he nodded on to the crossbar from Morris’ cross.

After mounting the pressure on Wycombe, Luton claimed their equaliser on 68 minutes through Pearson. Wanderers did not deal with a cross into the area, it fell to the centre-back who headed home to send over 1,700 Town fans behind the goal jumping for joy.

Five minutes after equalising, Elliot Lee wriggled free in the box and sent a rasping cross/shot across the face of goal and wide as the Hatters looked for a winner.

The game then started to become an end-to-end affair as neither side seemed happy to settle for a point. Dominic Gape hit over on the edge for Wycombe after some neat build up play on 75 minutes before Lee struck wide one minute later after being picked out by substitute Eunan O’Kane.

Wycombe largely had Ryan Allsop to thank for their point after some stunning stops in the closing stages. The first of which saw Rocky tip Lee's shot past the post after Stewart lost possession when coming out with the ball from defence.

With both Scott Kashket and new loan signing Fred Onyedinma coming off the bench for Williams and Mackail-Smith, Wanderers’ attacking received a much needed energy boost. Onyedinma ran at the full-back, cut in and sent a shot wide of the near post on 86 minutes.

Stewart then had his second chance of the game to put his name on the scoresheet on 88 minutes. A corner was half cleared out to the defender on the egde, he beat two before striking towards the right corner which Shea saved.

Then following a succession of corners for the Chairboys, Luton broke in numbers and it looked bleak as they had a man advantage of four-on-one as they ran towards the Wycombe box. Sub Harry Cornick was played in with just Allsop to beat but he could not beat the Wanderers keeper as Rocky made himself big and denied the forward. The ball then came back out to Cornick who flashed one past the post.

With five minutes added, both sides had chances to steal the points. First up was Luton as Ruddock was again denied by Allsop, tipping his drive onto the post before pouncing on the rebound.

Then in the dying seconds, Akinfenwa flicked a ball pumped long into the path of Morris on the egde of the box. The midfielder cut on to his right foot and went for the far corner but Shea denied him with a super stop.

Wycombe received two late yellow cards with both Thompson and Man of the Match Sido Jombati booked for fouls in added time.

So one-goal apiece it finished in a thrilling game at Adams Park where on a reflection a point was probably a fair result.

Attendance: 6,072 (1,702 Luton)
Man of the Match (chosen by Cherry Red Records): Sido Jombati
50/50 Result: £1 Draw (£644.50) - 04851 £2 Draw (£121): 25831

Advertisement block