Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Wycombe 2-1 Fulham

Kashket wins it with the final kick.

18 September 2018

Scott Kashket's strike with the final kick of the game secured a 2-1 victory for the Chairboys over Fulham's under-21 side in the second group stage tie of the Checkatrade Trophy.

The game looked to be heading for penalties when Cameron Thompson expertly cancelled out Alex Samuel's early opener, but Kashket netted his fourth goal of the season to make it two wins from two for the Wanderers in the competition.

Gareth Ainsworth shuffled the pack with no fewer than 10 changes to his starting line-up, with Sido Jombati keeping his place alongside Darius Charles, who was handed his debut after recovering from an injury he sustained in the summer.

It didn’t take long for the Chairboys to break the deadlock, with Alex Samuel drilling home his first goal in light and dark blue quarters inside two minutes. Adebayo Akinfenwa flicked the ball invitingly into the box but his strike partner still had plenty to do, adjusting his feet to create the shooting chance before beating the keeper with a crisp effort.

The Blues looked comfortably in control from then on, going close with a deflected Akinfenwa header over the bar, before Sam Saunders tried his luck with an audacious free-kick from the halfway line which flew a yard over the top.

Opportunities continued to present themselves – Akinfenwa headed wide from a Cowan-Hall cross, Saunders had a shot blocked for a corner, and Kashket’s clever flick was deflected into the path of Samuel, whose effort was thwarted by the defender.

Yves Ma-Kalambay was a virtual spectator at the other end, other than collecting a Cameron Thompson cross, before Kashket chested Cowan-Hall’s powerful delivery onto the outside of the post with the final chance of the first half.

Fulham introduced 15-year-old Harvey Elliott and 16-year-old Fabio Carvalho at the break, with Moritz Jenz and Timmy Abraham making way, but the Cottagers almost found themselves two goals down when Rob Atkinson’s underhit backpass was seized upon by Kashket, who could only bend his effort wide of the post.

However, when the equaliser came against the run of play, it was one Cameron Thompson won’t forget, whatever his future in the game holds. He collected the ball almost 30 yards out facing away from goal, but shaped to shoot and unleashed an unstoppable rocket which bent just under the crossbar to make it 1-1.

Wycombe almost regained the immediately when Kashket’s powerful low shot was saved by Luca Ashby-Hammond, and then when Samuel held the ball up for Kashket to drill a low cross-shot across the face of goal, but Akinfenwa couldn’t quite convert at full stretch.

Then Elliott had a great chance to make a name for himself, collecting Jerome Opoku’s well-weighted pass and staying onside to go one-on-one with Ma-Kalambay, but got too much on his effort which flew over.

Wanderers made a triple change midway through the second period, withdrawing Akinfenwa, Sido Jombati and Darius Charles and introducing Matt Bloomfield, Joe Jacobson and Michael Harriman in a bid to regain the lead and all-but-secure their place in the knockout stages.

Nick Freeman’s excellent pass almost provided Kashket with a routine finish only for Rob Atkinson to slide in with a well-timed tackle to nick it off his toes, and Fulham then made their final substitution with Chris Kelly replacing Jerome Opoku.

Nick Freeman’s well-hit shot was saved by Ashby-Hammond as the game entered the final 10 minutes, and then Fulham should have won it when Kelly’s low cross was turned goalwards by Carvalho but Ma-Kalambay made a great block and Cody Drameh fired over from the rebound.

Then Kashket almost nicked it in stoppage time, diverting a cross on target but the ball struck the keeper’s face and flew over, but he wasn’t to be denied the winner, crashing home with the aid of a deflection with the last kick following Paris Cowan-Hall’s clever backheel.

Attendance: 595, including 76 from Fulham

Advertisement block