Skip to main content Skip to site footer

25 years on: Wycombe 1-0 Doncaster

The worst tackle in the history of the EFL is 25 years old today...

25 September 2018

Apologies, this video is unvailable.

Thankfully Jason Cousins' lunge on Doncaster's David Moss didn't hurt the player or the Chairboys' chances of winning, with Tim Langford clinching a 1-0 victory.

It was late September in 1993 and the Chairboys had – finally – tasted defeat, not once but twice, due to the horror show at home to Colchester in the league, and the 3-0 loss at Premiership side Coventry in the League Cup.

Therefore it was time for Martin O’Neill’s side to bounce back, having never lost back-to-back games during their double-winning season the year before, and the visit of Doncaster Rovers to Adams Park on Saturday 25th September represented the opportunity to restore normal order.

As it happens, this match would be the first of four successive victories in all competitions, though O’Neill was hardly upbeat after this narrow 1-0 triumph, with the main talking point from the game coming courtesy of a horror challenge from defender Jason Cousins. The Wanderers hard man had been sent off – somewhat harshly - in the previous league game against Colchester, but his dismissal against Doncaster was never in doubt from the moment both feet left the floor in an assault on David Moss, even though referee Mick Pierce deemed it worthy only of a second yellow card.

Adams Park was stunned almost to silence, with light relief coming through Tim Langford’s second-half winner for the 10-man Chairboys, but Cousins’ challenge was all that occupied the post-match chat, with O’Neill remarking: “If he does it again he will not play at this football club anymore. I thought that the decision when he was sent off against Colchester last week was harsh, but his behaviour this week was a total disgrace. He should have been sent off regardless of the yellow card beforehand. It was a terrible challenge.”

Cousins had been thrown out of the changing room mid-shower at half-time by an outraged O’Neill, who stripped the defender of the captaincy, fined him a week’s wages, and suspended him for seven days.

Advertisement block