Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Fleetwood 1-1 Wycombe

Read the report from Highbury Stadium.

2 October 2018

Wycombe left Fleetwood with a deserved point as Adebayo Akinfenwa cancelled out Paddy Madden’s first half opener at Highbury Stadium.

Gareth Ainsworth made three changes to his starting XI from the weekend, with Michael Harriman, Randell Williams and Craig Mackail-Smith coming into the side, replacing Joe Jacobson, Scott Kashket, and Fred Onyedinma.

Three minutes gone and there was big chance for Wanderers to open the scoring as Randell Williams latched on to a short header back from Ashley Eastham to his keeper. Williams nicked in and tried to prod it past Alex Cairns who came racing out, but he did enough to block the shot.

Ten minutes later and Ryan Allsop produced a superb bit of goalkeeping to keep the scores level. Wycombe let themselves down at the back as a low cross found Wes Burns who was denied by the legs of the keeper, and then Madden's fierce strike on the rebound was wonderfully tipped away.

Wanderers responded well to being pushed back on the front foot early doors and the newly found javelin-like throw-in ability of Randell Williams was seen as their weapon of choice.

Fleetwood and Madden would have the opener before the first half was out however as the former Scunthorpe man put the home side ahead on 37 minutes. Out of nothing, an inch-perfect cross from the right was glanced into the bottom corner by the prolific striker.

Half-time: Fleetwood 1-0 Wycombe

Gareth Ainsworth would have demanded a reaction from his players during the interval, and that’s exactly what he got as Mackail-Smith piled forward and was tripped, possibly in the box, but the ref gave the free-kick just outside. Eastham was booked and Bryn Morris hit the wall with resulting free-kick on 49 minutes.

Akinfenwa rose highest one minute later as Morris whipped in a cross, the Beast hung in the air and just put the ball past the post.

The big man’s next chance would be a goal, as he drew the Chairboys level with a superb finish on 56 minutes. The ball was lumped forward and Bayo made it three goals in three games as he thumped home.

That gave Wanderers an even bigger lift and they took the game to The Cod Army. Morris's volley deflected narrowly wide for a corner on 59 minutes.

66 minutes gone and it was nearly a stunning goal from Dominic Gape as a spectacular strike from 25-yards was met with an even better finger tip save onto the bar from Cairns.

13 minutes left to play and James Wallace's low cross was headed past the post by Madden as he dived in after stealing a march on Darius Charles.

Gareth Ainsworth rolled the dice, introducing Paris Cowan-Hall and Curtis Thompson into the mix in place of Morris and Williams as both sides went in search of a winner.

Sido Jombati saw his fifth yellow of the season in the closing stages as he tripped Madden in a dangerous area. Thankfully, Ryan Taylor whipped the resulting free-kick just passed the post.

Fred Onyedinma replaced Mackail-Smith in added time, but 1-1 was how it finished in a game of two halves. Fleetwood deserved the half-time lead given to them by Madden's brilliant header, but the Chairboys improved and earned their point thanks to Akinfenwa's leveller.

Attendance, 2,304

Advertisement block