Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Wycombe 3-2 Shrewsbury

Read the report as the Chairboys secured a fifth straight league win at home.

24 November 2018

Wycombe extended their impressive run to make it five consecutive league wins at Adams Park as they ran out 3-2 winners over Shrewsbury Town on Saturday.

Gareth Ainsworth made three changes to the side who earned a heroic 1-1 draw at Sunderland last weekend. Nick Freeman came in for Bryn Morris who was unable to play against his parent club, David Stockdale replaced previous emergency loan goalkeeper Matt Ingram in goal and Nathan Tyson made his first start of the season having recovered from injury to replace Randall Williams.

Shrewsbury named an unchanged side for a successive weekend as caretaker manager Danny Coyne didn’t feel the need to make changes to the side who eased past Salford 3-1 in midweek and defeated Rochdale 3-2 in the league last weekend.

Coming into the game, Shrewsbury hadn’t defeated the Chairboys in the league in their last 20 attempts, a record that dates back to January 1994 and were looking to put that record to bed early on when they took the lead inside four minutes.

Good work from Okenabirhie down the right earned himself the chance to work space for the cross. The cross came in high and was met by the head of former Wanderers striker Aaron Holloway who headed down towards Stockdale’s left and the former Fulham shot-stopper wasn’t able to scramble the ball away in time, conceding inside five minutes of his debut.

The Shrews were not ahead for long though as just seven minutes later, Wanderers captain and former Shrewsbury defender Adam El-Abd equalised with a unique solo effort. The visitors cleared the initial ball in and thought they had relieved the pressure but Freeman managed to head the ball back into the danger zone. It fell to El-Abd just inside the box and the Egyptian was able to chest the ball down, swivel and volley on the stretch to rifle the ball past Steve Arnold in the Shrewsbury goal.

Wycombe were buoyed by their equaliser and continued to threaten with Alex Samuel and Jason McCarthy linking up well down the right before McCarthy played a low ball in towards the near-post forcing Luke Waterfall to make a desperate challenge and clear.

The game appeared to simmer down as neither side looked to get a grip-hold of the game. That was until Wycombe earned themselves a corner just five minutes before half-time. Left-back, Joe Jacobsen went over to take the corner on the left which was cleared initially but found its way back to the defender. With one touch to set himself, he whipped in a wonder strike on his weaker right foot which flew in to the top corner leaving Arnold no chance.

The game looked to have sparked back into life as Shrewsbury were unfortunate not to equalise just minutes later. Norburn’s corner was aimed towards the back-post where Shrews defender, Waterfall, found himself in acres of space but his diving header crashed against the near-post and Wycombe were able to clear.

After an entertaining opening and closing minutes in the first-half, the second began slowly with Wycombe looking the slightly better side. Tyson’s flicked header went close before Freeman forced a strong save by Arnold with his curled effort.

The hosts soon found their two-goal cushion though as Freeman picked out Alex Samuel in space inside the box and the striker, who signed a two-and-a-half year contract extension earlier in the month, was able to show his composure and slot the ball inside the near-post.

Wycombe thought they could finally breathe a little but just two minutes later found the deficit halved once more. Good pressure from Norburn allowed him to nip in and play the ball in for Okenabirhie who was able to slide the ball past Stockdale and bring Shrewsbury back into the game with their first real chance in the second half and it was all to play for with 15 minutes to go.

The comeback, however, was not to be completed by the visitors as Wycombe were able to close the game out and maintain their winning record at home in the league.

The result sees the Chairboys rise to 12th and Shrewsbury drop one place in 17th. Wycombe now head to Accrington on Tuesday with a chance to rise into the top ten while the Shrews host south coast strugglers Plymouth Argyle.

Attendance: 4,598 (450 Shrewsbury).

50/50 Result: £1 Draw (£618) - 14524 £2 Draw (£82) - 26705

Advertisement block