Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Wycombe 0-0 Port Vale

Read the report from Vale stalemate.

24 March 2018

Wycombe were unable to unlock a resilient Port Vale defence as they drew 0-0 with the Valiants at Adams Park.

The Valiants began well, targeting the right wing as their preferred route to goal, but the Blues defended well before launching forays forward of their own, with Adebayo Akinfenwa twice going close from crosses as Thompson impressed as an architect in midfield.

One chance saw keeper Ryan Boot tip a bullet header over the bar from the Wanderers’ top scorer, but they were generally well contained by the visitors, whose best effort of the opening half hour saw Ben Whitfield lash wildly over the stand from 25 yards after a corner was half-cleared.

Nathan Tyson latched on to an Akinfenwa flick-on and lashed a low ball across the face of goal as he stretched to keep the ball in play, with no team-mate on hand to tap home.

Akinfenwa’s challenge to affect the game in his usual manner was hindered by an over-zealous referee who spotted infringements every time the ball reached the Wycombe striker, and it was his team-mate Sido Jombati who rose like the Beast to meet a Jacobson corner, requiring a smart save from Boot to parry the ball behind – the last chance of the first half.

Vale made a change at the break, bringing young striker Dan Turner into the fray at the expense of Anton Forrester, before Nick Freeman was booked for going in late on the keeper as they contested an aerial ball.

Sido Jombati curled a free-kick into the wall after Akinfenwa was awarded a decision in his favour, before David Worrall was booked following a confrontation which was provoked when Vale took an ungentlemanly approach in returning the ball to Wycombe after a head injury.

Akinfenwa was then booked for persistent fouling before Wanderers introduced Scott Kashket and Craig Mackail-Smith from the bench, taking the places of Tyson and Freeman on the hour-mark.

With the game becoming stretched, Tyrone Barnett strode forward and drilled goalwards from 25 yards, forcing a smart low save from Scott Brown, before Tafari Moore and Scott Kashket combined superbly as the full-back continued his run forward but stumbled in the box as he collected the striker’s clever pass.

Matt Bloomfield replaced Thompson who appeared to have collected a knock shortly after, and the tempo of the game was cranked up a notch, with Kashket sending a swerving, dipping effort at goal which Boot did well to get his body behind.

Then Brown’s handling was equally impressive at the other end, holding on to Nathan Smith’s low strike from distance, before Wanderers went close to finding the breakthrough on the counter-attack when Bloomfield found Kashket and his pass landed in the path of Mackail-Smith, whose prodded effort under pressure was beaten away by Boot.

Marcus Bean and Kyle Howkins were both booked for fouls before Vale swapped David Worrall for Marcus Harness, and Mackail-Smith went close again, turning Akinfenwa’s knockdown goalwards only to be denied by a block from the keeper after Tafari Moore had delivered an inch-perfect free-kick.

There were five minutes of stoppage time, in which there was a goal-line clearance from Cristian Montano when Marcus Bean returned Jacobson’s free-kick into danger, but there was to be no late winner as Vale celebrated a hard-earned point despite extending their winless run to 14 games, while Wanderers rued two dropped points in the pursuit of promotion.

Attendance: 4,620 (208 Port Vale).

50/50 Result:

Blue £1 (£700.50) - 02341
Orange £2 (£161) - 00559

Advertisement block