Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Barnet 0-2 Wycombe

Read the report from the Hive.

17 March 2018

A penalty from Joe Jacobson and a first away goal since November 2015 for Luke O’Nien saw Wycombe record a 2-0 win at Barnet.

Gareth Ainsworth made three changes for this one; with the fit again Sido Jombati replacing the injured Dan Scarr at centre-half, and Nick Freeman and Craig Mackail-Smith coming in for Nathan Tyson and Paris Cowan-Hall who dropped to the bench.

It was a relatively even start to the game amid freezing conditions at the Hive, Shaquille Coulthirst fashioned the game’s first chance as he dragged a shot wide from the edge with three minutes played.

After showing some good build-up play despite a bobbly surface, the Chairboys first chance came on 23 minutes as Freeman was found in space 18-yards out. The forward moved on to his left and brought out a smart stop from Bees keeper, Craig Ross.

Wycombe were given a huge let-off just past the half-hour mark as the ball dropped to John Akinde in space inside the box. With Scott Brown committed and the goal gaping, the target man cracked the bar and Wanderers somehow scrambled it clear.

Half-time: Barnet 0-0 Wycombe

After a first half lacking in clear-cut chances, the second period sprung into life a lot quicker as Wycombe were awarded a penalty on 50 minutes.

Freeman played in Mackail-Smith who got his body in front of his marker and was hauled down leaving referee, Lee Collins with no option but to point to the spot. Joe Jacobson stepped up and lashed the ball into the net from 12-yards; sending Ross the wrong way.

A couple of minutes later, Jacobson tried his luck again, this time from 20-yards out but Ross got down well to deny him on this occasion.

Wycombe first change came on 56 minutes; as Nathan Tyson replaced Mackail-Smith.

As Barnet had to chase the game, they began to leave gaps at the back. Great play from Freeman saw him get away down the right, crossing to Bloomfield at the back post who headed just over.

The visitors did get their second though, and it came on 70 minutes courtesy of a first away goal from Luke O’Nien since November 2015. The midfielder struck a free-kick out from the left through the corridor of uncertainty and it found its way into the Barnet net.

Wycombe’s final two changes saw Scott Kashket and Curtis Thompson replace Freeman and Bloomfield and Kashket was straight into the action, meeting a corner at the near post which somehow Barnet hooked clear.

It was so nearly three and an 18th of the season for Akinfenwa as the game entered its final few minutes. The Beast found space in the box and drilled a shot towards the far corner which Ross stopped and then took the rebound off the toe of Kashket.

The Chairboys saw the game out comfortably in the closing stages to get back to winning ways in difficult conditions.

Attendance: 2,103 (1,031 Wycombe)

Advertisement block