Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Havant 2-0 Wycombe

National League side clinch friendly win with two first-half penalties.

21 July 2018

Two penalties from Alfie Pavey earned National League side Havant & Waterlooville a 2-0 win in Saturday's pre-season friendly at Westleigh Park.

The former Millwall forward beat Ryan Allsop twice from the spot in a first half that was otherwise even on the balance of play, and an improvement in from the Chairboys in the second period wasn't enough to see them force their way back into the game.

With Sam Saunders and Curtis Thompson rested while Darius Charles nursing a knock, Wanderers took a squad of 19 players to Westleigh Park on a balmy afternoon and started on the front foot, with Nathan Tyson seizing on a loose pass to deliver a dangerous cross which was headed away from under the crossbar by Andreas Robinson, with Adebayo Akinfenwa lurking.

Havant’s first chance came on 10 minutes when a loose ball in the midfield was threaded through to striker Alfie Pavey, whose early effort from the edge of the box was well parried behind by Ryan Allsop. However, as the corner came in, referee Mike Desborough spotted a push and awarded a penalty to the hosts, with Pavey making no mistake from the spot to make it 1-0.

Wanderers responded well and an impressive link-up between Tyson, Akinfenwa and Craig Mackail-Smith resulted in the latter seeing a shot deflected into the side netting, before Pavey threatened again, forcing an excellent save from Allsop following Bradley Tarbuck’s cross from the right, though the flag was raised for offside.

Mackail-Smith went close with a fizzing low effort from 25 yards out on the half-hour mark, before the Hawks were awarded a second penalty when Nicke Kabamba went down in the box following a tangle of legs with Adam El-Abd, and again Pavey was successful from 12 yards, this time going to Allsop’s right and finding the net off the post to make it 2-0 at half-time.

Wycombe began the second half brightly but lost Akinfenwa with a knock on 54 minutes, with Luke O’Nien taking his place, before Paris Cowan-Hall, Nick Freeman and the trialist forward followed soon after.

Cowan-Hall saw a goalbound volley blocked by Jordan Rose before Freeman’s low drive was well saved by Ryan Young and Marcus Bean’s follow-up deflected to safety, ahead of another triple change as Michael Harriman, Scott Kashket and the trialist defender came on.

Cowan-Hall poked a difficult chance wide as Wycombe bossed possession in the final quarter of an hour, enjoying a fast tempo and series of slick passes without finding the net, though Freeman went close with a low shot into the side netting from the corner of the box.

Havant: 1. Ryan Young (21. Ben Dudzinski 85), 3. Rory Williams (15. Josh Huggins, 54), 4. Brian Stock (20. Alfie Rutherford 72), 6. Ed Harris, 7. Wes Fogden, 9. Alfie Pavey (12. Aaron Cosgrave 72), 10. Nicke Kabamba, 11. Bradley Tarbuck (14. Mike Carter 54), 16. Andreas Robinson, 17. Jordan Rose (5. Ryan Woodford 72), 23. Paul Robinson (22. Lee Molyneaux 76).

Wycombe: 1. Ryan Allsop, 2. Sido Jombati (16. Michael Harriman 72), 3. Joe Jacobson, 5. Anthony Stewart, 6. Adam El-Abd (15. Trialist-CB 72), 4. Dominic Gape (12. Paris Cowan-Hall 56), 8. Marcus Bean (11. Scott Kashket 72), 10. Matt Bloomfield, 9. Craig Mackail-Smith (25. Trialist-CF 63), 23. Nathan Tyson (22. Nick Freeman 63), 20. Adebayo Akinfenwa (17. Luke O’Nien 54).

Subs: 30. Yves Ma-Kalambay.

Advertisement block