Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Luton 2-3 Wycombe

Chairboys beat the league leaders.

30 January 2018

A brace from Nathan Tyson after an opener from Paris Cowan-Hall saw the Chairboys record a superb 3-2 victory over Luton Town at Kenilworth Road.

Gareth Ainsworth made two changes to his starting XI at Kenilworth Road as Adam El-Abd and Tyson came into the side, with Nathan McGinley dropping to the bench and Matt Bloomfield missing out through illness.

With much up for grabs, both sets of fans were in good voice as the game got underway, and it was Wanderers who would make the dream start as Cowan-Hall put the visitors ahead with just over 70 seconds played.

Dominic Gape released Tyson with a superb ball over the top. His shot was parried by Hatters keeper Marek Stech, it fell back to the forward who teed up Paris to smash home from the edge.

With the hosts in shock, Wycombe had a great chance to make it two as Tafari Moore picked out Tyson with a sublime cross on the right and his header was superbly saved by Stech with 5 minutes gone. Scarr would then be denied by Town’s stopper two minutes later as he connected with Jacobson’s corner.

After Luke Berry registered Luton’s first shot on target with curling effort from 25-yards on 10 minutes, the hosts gradually started to impose themselves on the game with Wycombe holding firm at the back.

Cowan-Hall could have had an unlikely double with 18 minutes gone as his cross-turned-shot almost snuck into the far corner, but went just past the frame of the goal.

Super last-ditch defending from Joe Jacobson kept the Chairboys in front on 20 minutes. Elliott Lee glided his way into the area and brought out a smart stop from Brown, and it looked like James Collins was going to tap in the rebound only for the Wanderers full-back to come out of nowhere to deny him with a block.

The Hatters began to look comfortable on the ball and the Chairboys had to look for the counter as they began to sit in. That almost paid off as Gape saw his goal-bound shot blocked on the edge with just under half-an-hour gone.

Straight up the other end and Brown provided the heroics again as he manged to tip Collins’ deflected shot around post. From the resulting corner the ball was nodded down into the path of E.Lee, six-yards out with his back to goal, but the frontman couldn’t make contact.

E.Lee then managed to get a yard from Scarr on the edge of the area on 35 minutes, but could only curl over the bar as frustration from the home stands was creeping in.

Against all odds, Wycombe had two with just over five minutes of the half remaining.  JJ's corner was nodded down to Tyson in acres of space; he chested and bundled it over the line despite the defenders’ best efforts.

Wanderers couldn’t hold their two-goal advantage into the interval however, as after Brown initially made a great stop with his legs, the ball came back out to E.Lee who found the far corner on 44 minutes.

Half-time: Luton Town 1-2 Wycombe Wanderers

Luton would fashion the first chance after the restart as E.Lee turned Scarr and hit one from outside the area which Brown got down and held on 52’.

Luton made their first switch with just over 30 minutes to go, Johnny Mullins was replaced as Pelly-Ruddock Mpanzu entered the field.

Brown showed superb reflexes yet again to deny an Alan Sheehan free-kick on the edge. The defender tried to hit it low and hard through a crowd of bodies but the Chairboys keeper got across to flick it around the post on 66’. Nathan Jones rolled the dice again two minutes later as Harry Cornick came on in place of Andrew Shinnie.

Then, counter-attacking football at its finest. After a Luton attack broke down, Gape flicked the ball over the top for Tyson in acres, he bore down on goal and slotted it through Stech’s legs to restore the Chairboys’ two-goal advantage, sparking wild celebrations in the away end.

Tyson would then be replaced by Craig Mackail-Smith with 15 minutes remaining to a deserved standing ovation from the away support. The referee didn’t like how long it took him to leave the pitch however and booked him.

Luton were right back in it on 78 minutes as E.Lee bagged a brace after smashing home the rebound after Brown had denied the original effort from the forward.

Wycombe made a double sub on 82 minutes as Scott Kashket and Curtis Thompson came on in place of Cowan-Hall and Moore.

Kashket had a couple of chances to seal it with time running out. Firstly seeing his curling shot deflect wide and then turned Gape’s drive goalwards, bringing out a good save from Stech.

Luton should have been level with less than a minute of normal time remaining as Cornick was played clean through. He couldn’t beat the brick wall that is Brown however, as he denied him with his chest after narrowing the angle.

NINE minutes were added on, yes nine, but Wycombe held firm and recorded a memorable victory to send them into second place.

Attendance: 8,564 (791 Away)

Advertisement block