Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Wycombe 2-4 Morecambe

Freeman and O'Nien goals come too late as the Shrimps take the points.

24 February 2018

Two goals from Ellison and a goal apiece from McGurk and Wilde meant Morecambe take all three points today at Adams Park.

It was an ideal start for Morecambe as they netted inside three minutes. A long throw from Shrimps captain Michael Rose found the head of Adam McGurk, and the back of the net.

After a quarter of an hour, Wycombe’s Luke O’Nien had a chance to equalise as a cross from Tafari Moore was deflected. O’Nien’s header landed straight into the hands of Morecambe’s goalkeeper Barry Roche.

Morecambe doubled their lead through Kevin Ellison. His volley on the right hand side from the corner of the box couldn’t be stopped by Scott Brown. He was subsequently booked for removing his shirt in celebration.

Wycombe had another chance on goal when a corner from Joe Jacobson found Adebayo Akinfenwa, who headed it just wide of the right hand post.

Five minutes before half time, Morecambe tripled their lead through a header from Kevin Ellison; his second of the game.

HT: 0-3

Wycombe started well in the second half and applied pressure. A header from Adebayo Akinfenwa was well saved by Shrimps keeper Roche.

Just as Wycombe looked to be gaining some speed, it was all too simple for Gregg Wylde to finish; a shot from close range gave Morecambe their fourth.

The gaffer opted to switch it up at the hour mark, bringing on Nathan Tyson and Nick Freeman. The addition of Freeman paid off as within minutes of him being on the pitch, he got one back for the Chairboys.

Akinfenwa was faced with another close chance as a Joe Jacobson cross skimmed off of the head of a Morecambe player, but he didn’t quite have enough time to react.

Ten minutes to go and a well taken shot by Nathan Tyson was defended by Morecambe’s Steven Old. Moments later, Tyson was through on goal, but the shot became rushed as he collided with opposing goalkeeper Roche, and his shot went wide.

With just seven minutes of normal time remaining, Luke O’Nien netted his 8th goal of the season so far, giving Wycombe a potential life line.

In stoppage time, Nathan McGinley was faced with a wild kick from Kevin Ellison. Already on a yellow card, the player received no punishment from the referee.

A disappointing loss for the Chairboys; but they are able to bounce back at Adams Park on Tuesday as they face Coventry.

FT: 2-4

MOTM: Luke O’Nien

Attendance: 4,672 (73 from Morecambe).

Advertisement block