Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Fixture News

Ladies gear up for cup semi-final

Andy McIntosh's side face Winchester in Flackwell Heath on Sunday.

28 February 2018

Wycombe Wanderers Ladies are in cup action this weekend, meeting Winchester City Flyers in the semi-final of the Chairman’s Cup.

The game kicks off at 2pm at Buckinghamshire College Group, Spring Lane, Flackwell Heath, HP10 9HE. Admission is free and the Ladies are hoping for a large crowd to boost their chances of reaching the final.

Last weekend, Wycombe Ladies made the trip towards the south coast last Sunday and eventually ended up frustrated.

The match began in bright sunshine on a crisp day; the heavily sanded pitch did not assist with Wycombe’s passing game and consequently the game did not reach a decent tempo until 15 minutes in.

Eastleigh attempted to use counter-attacks to get behind the Wycombe back line. The protection provided by Christina O’Connor and Charlotte Bagshaw in midfield gained better possession and this lead to some quality approach play. The attack, led by Tara Woodward, created opportunities and a fierce low shot from Woodward was well saved by the Eastleigh keeper.

Eastleigh’s attacks became more sporadic largely due to a more cohesive shape in midfield, Bonnie Messitt and Sybil Bory intercepting a number of forward passes and keeper Amy Batkin sweeping behind the defenders.

Another promising chance was blocked by the Eastleigh defenders but on 32 minutes, some patient, creative forward play was rewarded when Woodward received a pass, cut inside and under pressure, curled a brilliant right foot shot into the top right corner of the net.

Wycombe were now largely in control of the game. This continued into the second half, with O’Connor, now in a more advanced role, beginning to provide more possession in the attacking third. However, on 55 minutes, a 50/50 ball resulted in tough challenge which left the Eastleigh player in considerable distress with a suspected fractured pelvis.

The game was subsequently held up for medical treatment to be called. The delay was not helped by the ambulance getting stuck in soft ground on the approach to the pitch. The referee eventually abandoned the game after an hour’s inactivity.

An opportunity lost but, after a slow start, another promising performance from the improving and increasingly confident Ladies team.

Our thoughts are with the Eastleigh player for a speedy recovery.

Advertisement block