Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Scunthorpe 1-0 Wycombe

Read the report from Glanford Park.

29 December 2018

Kyle Wootton’s strike after eight minutes was enough to hand Scunthorpe all three points at Glanford Park in a game largely dominated by the Chairboys.

The defeat was Wycombe’s third in a row, who had seen an Alex Samuel goal ruled out for offside minutes after falling behind.

Gareth Ainsworth made four changes from the side that was defeated at Burton Albion on Boxing Day with Anthony Stewart, Nick Freeman, Scott Kashket and Samuel coming into the starting XI in place of Sido Jombati, Bryn Morris, Craig Mackail-Smith and Nathan Tyson.

After Scunthorpe took the lead inside 30 seconds in the reverse fixture back in October, they had another early advantage in this one as Wootton fired them in front on eight minutes. The forward found space inside the box and smashed the ball under the body of Ryan Allsop and into the near corner of the net.

It looked as if Wanderers had made an immediate response to that early setback as Samuel’s effort beat Jak Alnwick, but the goal was ruled out by the officials as Scott Kashket, stood in an offside position, was deemed to be interfering with play as he blocked the eyeline of the Iron keeper.

Joe Jacobson, known for his predatory-like instincts from dead ball situations, found the sidenetting this time around on 17 minutes, from a free-kick positioned 25-yards out. Jason McCarthy would then be denied by Alnwick at his near post after cutting inside from the right three minutes later.

Referee Darren Drysdale was called upon again as it looked for a moment as if Fred Onyedinma was brought down by Cameron Borthwick-Johnson inside the area on the right, but the man in charge said it was just on the edge and Jacobson would fire the resulting free-kick over the bar with 25 minutes gone.

Despite Levi Sutton committing three professional fouls and going unpunished, Samuel picked up the first yellow card of the game as he caught Rory McCardle clearing a ball up the line. Sutton would then commit the same offence on Onyedinma moments later and would again go without seeing yellow.

With three minutes to go before the break, McCarthy prodded the ball through the legs of the defender and into the path of Kashket, his effort was blocked to the feet of Onyedinma in the box and he struck over on the half-volley.

Wanderers continued to turn the screw. Following Borthwick-Jackson picking up a yellow card for his first offence of the game on McCarthy, the resulting free-kick would drop kindly for Kashket in the box whose right-footed strike smacked the far post.

Alnwick came to the rescue once more for the home side before the interval as he tipped Freeman’s dipping effort from range behind the post.

Half-time: Scunthorpe 0-1 Wycombe

Two minutes into the second half and Wycombe had a free-kick right on the edge of the penalty area as Onyedinma was brought down. The Millwall loanee took the responsibility himself and hit just wide of the far post after opting for power.

Wanderers went close again on 52 minutes as McCarthy's cross was flicked on to the back post by McArdle. Kashket stretched to reach it and Alnwick clawed it agonisingly off the line.

After picking up a booking earlier in the half for a foul on Jacobson, Yasin Ben El-Mhanni made way for Andy Dales as the Chairboys continued to set up camp in the Scunthorpe half.

With 66 minutes played, Adebayo Akinfenwa was introduced to the action as he replaced Onyedinma, and he was straight into the thick of it as he teed up Freeman on the edge who saw his shot blocked behind.

From the resulting corner it was the Beast who rose highest, but he couldn’t keep his header on target and the ball went wide for a goal-kick.

After McCarthy fizzed one across the face of goal on 71 minutes, Paris Cowan-Hall replaced Kashket as Wanderers desperately searched for an equaliser their dominance deserved. Scunthorpe also made a change as they brought on Clayton Lewis for earlier sub Dales, who had taken a knock just minutes after coming on.

With Wycombe piling forward, Thompson had to take a yellow card to stop Lee Novak from breaking free on halfway with six minutes left to play.

Akinfenwa held it up on edge of the ‘D’ before laying it back to Freeman to strike right-footed from 20-yards out, the forward put his effort wide.

Seven additional minutes were raised shortly after Wycombe made their third and final change as Randell Williams came on in place of Samuel.

An altercation occured as Scunthorpe looked to hold the ball up in the corner in injury time; McCardle receiving a booking fo this part in the disruption.

One last chance came in the dying seconds as Allsop came up for the corner, but the ball was headed clear at the near post and Drysdale’s final whistle meant Wanderers would end 2018 with defeat.

Gareth Ainsworth’s men are next in action on New Years Day, as they welcome Coventry City to Adams Park.

Attendance 3,489

Advertisement block