Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Wycombe 1-0 Barnsley

Williams makes it six home league wins in a row.

8 December 2018

Randell Williams' second-half strike secured another excellent three points for the Wanderers as they overcame Barnsley at Adams Park.

The winger rifled home from outside the box after Joe Jacobson's corner was half-cleared, and the Blues stood firm to collect a club record-breaking sixth straight home win in League 1.

Gareth Ainsworth made four changes from the side that won 2-1 at Accrington, with Stephen Henderson making his debut between the sticks while Joe Jacobson, Randell Williams and Nathan Tyson came into the side as Michael Harriman, Nick Freeman and Craig Mackail-Smith made way.

Alex Mowatt tested Henderson’s handling with an early shot from range that the Tykes hoped would set the tempo for the match, but instead they came up against a well-drilled Wanderers outfit who looked threatening in attack with the pacy quartet of Tyson, Williams, Fred Onyedinma and Alex Samuel causing problems on a regular basis.

Adam El-Abd couldn’t get enough power on a header to beat Adam Davies from Jacobson’s deep corner, while the Blues felt they should have had a penalty on 15 minutes when Samuel was shoved from behind, though ref Antony Coggins waved away the appeals.

Onyedinma and Dominic Gape fly off-target and Samuel glanced a low cross wide of the far post as Wycombe pushed for the opener, while at the other end, George Moncur was punished for simulation in the box before booting the ball away in anger.

The last chance came in stoppage time, when Ethan Pinnock’s header from a corner was expertly tipped behind by Henderson, before the hosts began the second period in impressive fashion, drawing a miracle save from Adam Davies when Randell Williams turned a low cross goalwards.

Onyedinma continued to threaten and the Tykes’ hopes weren’t helped when they lost Cauley Woodrow to injury as they prepared to defend a corner. From the resulting delivery, the ball was half-cleared to Randell Williams who thrashed the ball home from the edge of the D to make the breakthrough.

Barnsley reacted immediately, making a second change as Brad Potts came off the bench, and with the wind behind them, looked to apply pressure via a series of set pieces which ultimately led to nothing.

Their final substitution saw Zeki Fryers replaced by Mamadou Thiam on 75 minutes, before El-Abd was thwarted by Davies with another back-post header.

The Tykes had a shot blocked in a congested area following a dangerous corner, and Kieffer Moore sent a low shot agonisingly wide in stoppage time as the men in red sought an equaliser, which almost came via the boot of Ethan Pinnock, who looped over a chance from Thiam’s left-wing cross.

That was that, and the referee’s whistle signalled another fine win – a sixth home league victory in succession, which is the club’s best ever sequence in the third tier.

Advertisement block