Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Plymouth 1-1 Wycombe

Read the report from Home Park.

21 August 2018

It was a tale of two halves at Home Park as Wycombe came away from Plymouth Argyle with a point after Matt Bloomfield cancelled out Freddie Ladapo’s early opener in a stunning second half display from the Chairboys.

Gareth Ainsworth made two changes to his side from the weekend, with Anthony Stewart and Bryn Morris coming in for Curtis Thompson and Adebayo Akinfenwa as the Chairboys lined up in a 4-3-3 formation. Craig Mackail-Smith came inside to lead the line and Michael Harriman moved up to the right forward position.

There was an early warning sign for the Wycombe defence as a smartly dinked cross saw Ladapo rise above his man but plant a header over the bar.

Plymouth and Ladapo would take the lead with the next attack though; the striker latching on to a long ball and lofting it over Ryan Allsop as he and Adam El-Abd hesitated with just four minutes on the clock.

It was an assured response from the visitors and a great save from Argyle keeper Matt Macey denied Bloomfield bringing the Chairboys level on 15 minutes. Morris turned inside nicely, fed Bloomfield, whose powerful shot swerved in the area but the shot-stopper parried it excellently.

Back Wanderers came, and good break saw Craig Mackail-Smith sprint down the right, deliver a crossfield ball which was met by Bloomfield, nicked away from him to Harriman, whose curling shot was straight at Macey on 21 minutes.

Allsop was quick off his line to stop Ladapo getting in behind again just past the half-hour mark; coming out of his box and denying the striker with a slide tackle. Soon after Antoni Sarcevic almost latched on to a ball played through the ‘corridor of uncertainty’ but fluffed his lines at the back stick.

Wanderers received an injury blow just before the break as Adam El-Abd pulled up holding his hamstring. After a break in play after receiving treatment, the Wycombe skipper was unable to continue and was replaced by Sido Jombati.

Half-time: Plymouth 1-0 Wycombe

Wycombe went on the front foot from the restart, eyeing Randell Williams down the right as a possible route of success. Following some neat build-up play down that side, the ball was played infield to Morris who let fly from 25-yards which whistled past the post on 48 minutes.

Wycombe had to be wary of the counter-attack as they pressed for an equaliser. Harriman's pass to an onside Bloomfield was snuffed out before Argyle broke and Graham Carey's low shot was held by Allsop.

Mackail-Smith was battling hard to force an opening for Wanderers. The striker hit the outside of the post on the hour mark as he chased a lost cause with the defender and keeper dithering.

CMS was then inches away from connecting to a delicious Morris ball across the face of goal. Wycombe were getting better and better as the game wore on and Argyle were retreating closer to the ropes.

Brilliant work from Williams to keep the ball in play on the byline, allowed him to tee up Morris whose goalbound effort was blocked which would have taken the net off.

Ainsworth boosted his attack by adding Scott Kashket and Akinfenwa to the play in place of Harriman and Williams, and the pressure mounted from the Chairboys and Macey provided a stunning save on 73 minutes to deny Morris once more. Good build-up play culminated in Akinfenwa laying up Morris with a seemingly unstoppable shot. Macey had other ideas.

Argyle made a couple changes themselves in a bid to change the balance of play, and it appeared to have worked as they forced a couple of important blocks from the Wycombe backline.

But then came a deserved equaliser for the Chairboys. Akinfenwa played a huge role, controlling it, rolling into the path of Mr Wycombe, Bloomfield, who tucked it home from a tight angle.

Then with three left to play it was so almost a Wycombe winner. Outstanding play from McCarthy saw the full-back drive forward, threading it through to Kashket who turned and clipped it towards the bottom corner and it came off the inside of the post -  an inch away!

Mackail-Smith then thought he had an injury time winner which was what his performance would have deserved, but his bundle over the line was ruled out for a marginal offside.

So Wycombe were made to settle for a point, in a real ‘coming of age’ performance at Home Park Stadium.

Attendance: 9,244 (237 Wycombe)

Advertisement block