Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Doncaster 3-0 Wycombe

Read the report from the defeat at the Keepmoat

11 August 2018

Wycombe suffered their first defeat of the season as they went down 3-0 at Doncaster Rovers.

After a goalless first 45, Rovers taught Wycombe a harsh lesson on life in League One as they clinically saw off Wanderers with goals through Mallik Wilks, Joe Wright and John Marquis.

Gareth Ainsworth made two changes to his starting XI from the opening day draw with Blackpool, with Bryn Morris coming in to make his debut, replacing the injured Paris Cowan-Hall and Sido Jombati in for the suspended Michael Harriman.

Under bright South Yorkshire sunshine, Doncaster started the game with a direct approach looking for the early ball to John Marquis in behind, forcing a couple of early corners in the process.

It was Wycombe who fashioned the game’s first opportunity however, as Adebayo Akinfenwa glanced a header wide from Joe Jacobson’s free-kick on the left with seven minutes played.

Mallik Wilks went down softly in the box with Marcus Bean alongside him with 13 minutes gone, he won nothing and Adam El-Abd and Sam Saunders were quick to tell him their opinion. That got tempers flaring and Andy Butler saw yellow soon after for a late tackle on Randell Williams.

Williams’ pace continued to cause problems and Ben Whiteman was next go in the referee’s book on 24 minutes after being forced to stop the Wanderers’ forward breaking after Matt Bloomfield won the ball back superbly in the middle of the park.

After getting the better of Jacobson in a 50/50 and then advancing into the box, Wilks looked to catch Ryan Allsop out at his near post with just under 30 minutes gone, but the Wycombe goalkeeper was equal to the danger.

Marquis played one out wide for Danny Andrew on 31’, the full-back let fly and was a couple of inches too high in finding the top corner, he would then try a curling effort moments later and drew a great save from Rocky.

Doncaster broke with intent after possession broke down for Wycombe midway in the Rovers half. With Wanderers stretched, Wilks cut in and played a inch-perfect pass to Marquis who checked on to his right foot and saw his shot blocked by Jombati going into the final ten minutes of the first half.

Morris received the ball in space 30-yards from goal and went to pick out the top-right corner, if it was just a little bit more to the right, it would have been a spectacular debut goal for the Shrewsbury loanee but Rovers keeper Marko Marosi managed to stop.

Some neat trickery from Williams saw him get a yard and cross to Akinfenwa, it was headed back out to Bean who found Saunders and the midfielder’s shot was deflected wide on the edge.

The resulting corner was played short and then crossed to the back-stick to Bloomfield who turned and shot where Williams was close to poking it over the line but the Marosi smothered the ball into his grasp.

Half-time: Doncaster 0-0 Wycombe

Two minutes after the restart Marquis almost wriggled free in the box; it broke to Tommy Rowe whose shot was closed down by Morris.

El-Abd would then see yellow for fouling Wilks on the right wing before Donny threatened again. A wicked ball in from the right bounced all the way across the face of goal, Rowe returned it to danger but Anthony Stewart headed clear.

55 minutes gone and there was a big chance for Wycombe. The Chairboys broke well, Bean fed Williams and as the keeper found himself in no-mans-land. Williams opted to cross to Bloomfield with the goal gaping, but his cross was too high.

The Blues were made to pay for that wasted chance as Doncaster broke forward and Wilks’ low shot found the net, possibly with the aid of a deflection on 56 minutes.

Wycombe tried to respond quickly as Williams stayed onside to win a corner down the left. The ball stayed alive and El-Abd of all people cracked a volley at goal, but it was blocked.

Saunders then went within a whisker of drawing Wanderers level on 64 minutes. JJ's cross was headed skywards, Williams kept it alive, Akinfenwa teed up Saunders who bent one narrowly wide with his left foot from the edge of the box.

There was a double change for the Chairboys with just over 20 minutes of the game remaining as Nick Freeman and Dominic Gape replaced Morris and Bean.

The referee whistle started to be blown more times than a ball was kicked as Stewart received a booking for a tackle on Wilks. The resulting free-kick on the edge would lead to Doncaster’s second on 79 minutes.

After the initial set-piece was denied, Rovers recycled the ball and Rowe threaded a fine ball into the box for Wright, who stayed onside to beat Allsop.

Wycombe went to throw the kitchen sink at it as Craig Mackail-Smith replaced Saunders. But despite having four forwards on the pitch, it went from bad to worse as Marquis sealed with just less than ten minutes to play. Substitute Matty Blair surged forward excellently dinked a pass through to Marquis, Allsop stopped his first shot but the rebound squirmed over the line.

Dominic Gape received a yellow card in the dying minutes for a late tackle as he stopped Rovers from breaking from a spell of Wycombe possession.

3-0 was how it would finish then as Wycombe now move on to Carabao Cup action at home to Northampton Town on Tuesday night (14/8).

Attendance: 7,122 (414 Wycombe)

Advertisement block