Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Yeovil 0-1 Wycombe

Read the the report from Huish Park.

14 April 2018

Randell Williams’ first professional goal proved enough for Wycombe as they left Huish Park with a 1-0 win over Yeovil Town.

It was a far from a classic, and Wanderers saw less of the ball than perhaps they would have liked, but a moment of magic and a great hit from the Watford loanee in the 79th minute saw the Chairboys home and dry in a smash and grab affair.

Gareth Ainsworth made two changes to his starting XI for this one with Nathan McGinley replacing the injured Sido Jombati at the back and Nick Freeman coming in for Williams who dropped to the bench.

It was a relatively even opening under the bright sunshine at Huish Park; Wycombe showing some good play high up the pitch down the right wing, winning a succession of early corners.

The first moment of real danger from either side came on 22 minutes as a dangerous Town cross flew across the face of goal and deflected behind for a corner with Scott Brown opting to stay on his line. The resulting set-piece was then pulled up for a foul in Wycombe’s favour.

Otis Khan then cut in from the right a couple of minutes later, but his low shot was bravely blocked by the Wanderers defence as the Glovers enjoyed a spell on top midway through the half.

The Chairboys were forced into a change on the half-hour mark as Luke O’Nien hobbled off and was replaced by Randell Williams; seeing a shuffle in Wycombe’s attacking line as Scott Kashket came in to a more central role.

The dangerous pairing of Kashket and Akinfenwa linked up well on 38 minutes as the Beast chested it down to the magic man. The forward took a touch and saw his drive well blocked by Thomas James.

The towering presence of Omar Sowunmi almost paid off for the hosts with just over five minutes of the half left to play.  A deep cross found the centre-half at the back stick, he won the header but it bounced a yard wide of the far post.

In added time the Glovers went even closer as Khan whipped in a dangerous free-kick through a crowd of bodies which Brown expertly tipped on to the woodwork before McGinley hooked clear.

Then at the other end, Kashket latched on to a loose ball, played a neat one-two with Akinfenwa before his shot deflected wide.

Half-time:  Yeovil 0-0 Wycombe

The second-half was just two minutes old when Yeovil had the ball in the back of the net, but thankfully Wycombe were saved by the assistant referee’s flag as Fisher bundled Jordan Green’s low ball home from an offside position.

It was home side were seeing most of the ball in the early stages of the restart but the Chairboys looked dangerous on the counter. Randell Williams received the ball on the edge of the box and looked to curl one but a block took the ferocity out of the shot on 55’.

Gareth Ainsworth made his second change of the afternoon just before the hour-mark as Craig Mackail-Smith replaced Kashket up top with Akinfenwa.

Wanderers were next to try their luck as Freeman went close from distance, striking it low from 25-yards after Dominic Gape won back possession, but it went a yard wide on 63 minutes.

Yeovil made their first change on 67 minutes, as Marcus Barnes replaced the lively Rhys Browne, but it was Wycombe who were next on the attack as Williams delivered a smart cross from the left  but it's nicked off the head of Akinfenwa.

After a couple of warnings, Marcus Bean went into the book on 73 minutes after a late challenge on Khan. Adam El-Abd then soon followed after mistimed challenge on Barnes 25-yards out from Wycombe’s goal. From the resulting free-kick, James just missed the target.

The game needed a moment a genius to break the deadlock and it got just that courtesy of Williams on 79 minutes. Wanderers kept the ball alive after Joe Jacobson’s cross was cleared. Bean fed Williams who struck it low, onto the inside the post and into the net and then celebrated acrobatically.

Yeovil rolled the dice with two quick subs as Ryan Seager and Alefe Santos replaced Green and Oscar Gobern with the Glovers planning a late assault on the Wycombe goal.

Superb covering from Michael Harriman stopped Barnes going through one-on-one with Brown after getting the better of McGinley on 88 minutes.

Five torturous minutes were added but Wanderers held on to secure three priceless points on the road ahead of Tuesday night’s trip to play-off chasing Lincoln.

Attendance: 3,307 (646 Wycombe).

Advertisement block